Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pro Comp vs. TeraFlex (2.5 Coil Lift)

Old 12-30-2010, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Comp vs. TeraFlex (2.5 Coil Lift)

So I have done a number of searches and have read all the posts on this site about Pro Comp and most of them about TeraFlex.

It seems to be the opinion of most that the TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift is one of the best way to go for a basic lift setup.

Of course the Pro Comp $250 rebate has all of us wondering if we can turn this deal down, and I am one of them.

The one thing I notice is that the TeraFlex gives you two longer arms, and the Pro Comp doesn't. Being a novice with all this, I would think the arms are needed. Can someone explain how Pro Comp gets away with this?
Old 12-30-2010, 03:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firemanli
Being a novice with all this, I would think the arms are needed. Can someone explain how Pro Comp gets away with this?
Look in the For sale section, alot of people end up selling their PC lift and going with Tera or someone else. Although I've seen a few happy with their's, but not many.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Lifts

Pro Comps dirty little secret is that their lifts do not provide the inches advertised. I have just recently found this out and I am more than upset. It turns out a Teraflex lift will actually give you MORE than advertised, usually even after sag (the sag statement is second hand information). My Pro Comp 4 inch lift provides 1 3/4 inches of lift over stock. I have measured three other JKs (all 4 doors) with the same Pro Comp lift and all are the same within a 1/4 of a inch (two others are in my family so I know no over abuse). I have measured two Jks (both 4 door) with a 4 inch Teraflex lift and both were way over 4 inches. But to be fair on the two I measured with the Teraflex they were new on dealer lots. But still over 4 inches.

I have made contact with Pro Comp regarding my situation and they say it is not possible. But the measurements do not lie. The back and forth is continuing, should be interesting.

Now if you are getting a 2.5 Pro Comp by my personal experience I would guess you will end up with .5 inches higher than stock.

So yes.... Teraflex
Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with TeraFlex. Not only is it a better lift, but the support Joe from TeraFlex provides to us JK owners after the sale is beyond anything that Pro-Comp can offer.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go with Teraflex out of solidarity! I was on the same fence but ended up ordering Teraflex from Northridge for 620 shipped.

There are just too many "I love Teraflex" posts to ignore. There arent a lot of "I hate Pro Comp" but I've seen two or three posts about Pro Comp and so far they have been "The ride isnt THAT stiff" and then the one posted above. So, there ya have it.

I'll admit that my wallet cringes still from the sting of the order, but I'll probably be more satisfied in the end.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubicon John
Go with TeraFlex. Not only is it a better lift, but the support Joe from TeraFlex provides to us JK owners after the sale is beyond anything that Pro-Comp can offer.
I spoke with Joe from Teraflex the other day for about a half an hour. Great guy and very helpful. I am somewhat surprised by you referenced him by name, I just thought he was one of many tech reps. Who is he?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was very tempted by the $250 Pro Comp rebate, but broke down and ordered the TF 2.5 w/ adapters yesterday from David at Northridge. I've spent the last week reading almost every lift kit thread from the past year, and just felt TF was a better foundation to build on.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

I owned the pro comp 2.5 coil lift with 9000 shocks. I never got around to installing it but I did like the bracketry especially the rear axle mounted track bar bracket. It adds beef to the stock mount and corrects the rear roll center. The coils looked a bit short (compared to a 4dr rubicon), and the shocks were 1" longer in the front than OME standard shocks and about equal length to OME rears.

I did not like how the PC kit lowered the front track bar mounts vs using longer links. I also do not remember seeing any relocating brackets for the front track bar (best to go with a longer bar anyway until you are ready to deal with steering as well)

Whe I fianally decided to lift it, I used a mix of parts with the key items being a Teraflex monster track bar and rear axle mounted bracket, 2" coil spacers with 4 dr rubi springs, RC shock extensions, stock rear track bar links in the front and longer stock front lower control arms. I also bought some longer brake lines.

I am very happy that I waited to lift it with components that I picked out. I was on an extremely limited budget. Next on the list are longer shocks and longer rear control arms.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rubicorn, sounds like we have a very similar game plan.

I am going to start with my springs. It seems that everything will work for at least a short period of time until I can swap the other components out. The only concern I have off the bat is whether the stock front track bar will have any issues. Thoughts anyone??
Old 12-31-2010, 08:18 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PagosaGlen
I spoke with Joe from Teraflex the other day for about a half an hour. Great guy and very helpful. I am somewhat surprised by you referenced him by name, I just thought he was one of many tech reps. Who is he?
Thanks! Actually there are only 2 full time tech/customer service reps at TeraFlex. My coworker had this whole week off. I'm just a Customer Service rep, nobody special. Glad we could talk, gotta anymore queustions, send me a pm. I thought we were open today, but we are not.

Last edited by TeraFlex; 12-31-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Pro Comp vs. TeraFlex (2.5 Coil Lift)