Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pro Comp9001-where to buy? pics?

Old 09-18-2008, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Comp9001-where to buy? pics?

Hey all, I looked through some old threads, but it seems that the pics are not showing up...I am looking to buy 18x9.5" Pro Comp 9001 Black Knight wheels for my (just ordered) Sunburst Orange Saraha. Anyone have any pics of the 18" Pro Comp 9001's in the Black Knight finish?

Also, I want to get a 305/65/R18 or similair (33-34" tall, around 12" wide) All Terrain tire to go with them...so far all I Found was the BFG T/A KO...I don't want a mudder or anything too gnarly as this will be my daily driver (after driving my CJ-7 all summer). I want a good look, with some off-road ability...but most important is retaining (as much as possible) the Jeep's on-road manners. The Nitto Terra Grappler jumps from 295, which is too narrow, to a 325, which is too wide. I also looked at the Toyo Open Country AT, but they dont make anything over 300 for an 18" wheel. Any other tire suggestions?

And lastly, any suggestions on where to buy Pro Comp Wheels (and the tires to go along with them? I found some good pricing at 4wheelparts.com and tirepackage.com....I bought a bunch of stuff for my CJ from 4wd.com, but they don't seem to carry the 9001. I'm trying to find a deal south of $2800 (mounted, balanced, lugs, sensors for all 5 wheels).

I'm planning on buying a Teraflex 2.5" Coil Lift with adapters from Dave at Northridge, as soon as I get this wheel/tire package done..... I can't wait to see (and drive) this truck...it should be here in November and I want to have all the new parts ready so I can install and sell off all the stock parts as brand new.

Thanks again...you comments and advice are always appreciated.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

The biggest advise that I could give you is to go from 18" rims to 17's. The 18" are much more expensive and so are the tires for them. As well the selection for 18" rims is far more limited than for the 17's. Any particular reason why you want to stay with the 18's?
Old 09-18-2008, 03:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on that! I purchased 5 - 16" procomp rims and 35" tires for what it would have cost for the 18" tires alone. Big difference in cost between 16 and 18 inch tires.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

BEFORE MOUNTING THEM To TIRES! Check ALL 4 rims against each other for color match in the sun! One of the people on this forum has them and he is NOT happy at all. None of the rim's colors match at all! And Pro Comp will not warranty any of them once they are mounted to tires. I was informed by 4wheel Part's not to get them if I am going to wheel at all. Once scratched they can not be repaired or damage be easily hidden.

I don't want to see another fellow Jeeper get screwed.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
The biggest advise that I could give you is to go from 18" rims to 17's. The 18" are much more expensive and so are the tires for them. As well the selection for 18" rims is far more limited than for the 17's. Any particular reason why you want to stay with the 18's?
I just happen to like the look of the 18's, plus less sidewall means better on road manners, in my experience anyway. I have 32" AT's on 15x8" rims on my CJ.... I am looking to biuld a more modern, street friendly Jeep.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
X2 on that! I purchased 5 - 16" procomp rims and 35" tires for what it would have cost for the 18" tires alone. Big difference in cost between 16 and 18 inch tires.

Agreed, definately a more expensive set-up....whicj is why I'm out here asking advice... I have not placed and order, so nothing is written in stone. I just know I want a black rim with something around 33.5 x 12" tire.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by whpony96
VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

BEFORE MOUNTING THEM To TIRES! Check ALL 4 rims against each other for color match in the sun! One of the people on this forum has them and he is NOT happy at all. None of the rim's colors match at all! And Pro Comp will not warranty any of them once they are mounted to tires. I was informed by 4wheel Part's not to get them if I am going to wheel at all. Once scratched they can not be repaired or damage be easily hidden.

I don't want to see another fellow Jeeper get screwed.
I saw that post too, which is partly why I wanted to put the question out there.....anyone else have issues with "Black Knight" wheels not matching???

THis is the kind of stuff I would like to know before I dump that kind of money on a set of wheels.

As always, advice and comments would be appreciated.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will admit they look cool and I almost got some till he explained to me why not to get them..

I will look for some down the road for my Mustang but not for my Jeep.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by whpony96
I will admit they look cool and I almost got some till he explained to me why not to get them..

I will look for some down the road for my Mustang but not for my Jeep.
Ok, so now I'm having second thoughts on this...anyone have any experience with the cast black procomps? quality? durability?

Thanks!!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 312cj7
I just happen to like the look of the 18's, plus less sidewall means better on road manners, in my experience anyway. I have 32" AT's on 15x8" rims on my CJ.... I am looking to biuld a more modern, street friendly Jeep.
less sidewall makes the ride rough. It may help in a cornering, but not in a Jeep. In a viper. sure. But you won't be cornering like that in a Jeep.

Quick Reply: Pro Comp9001-where to buy? pics?