Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after install PSC hydro assist kit

Old 05-21-2014, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems after install PSC hydro assist kit

First off ... the Jeep drove perfect before I installed the kit. I'm running TF 3 inch lift with all CAs, EVO drag link flip and with 37s. My caster is set 4.2 driver and 4.5 pass, these are the measurements from the alignment shop. I installed the PSC extreme duty assist kit and now, I'm all over the road at highway speeds. On my way to work tonight, the traction control light kicked on. I have been reading and I think I need to add more caster?? Please help ... Thanks!!
Old 05-22-2014, 05:34 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rubiconjk09
First off ... the Jeep drove perfect before I installed the kit. I'm running TF 3 inch lift with all CAs, EVO drag link flip and with 37s. My caster is set 4.2 driver and 4.5 pass, these are the measurements from the alignment shop. I installed the PSC extreme duty assist kit and now, I'm all over the road at highway speeds. On my way to work tonight, the traction control light kicked on. I have been reading and I think I need to add more caster?? Please help ... Thanks!!
What size ram piston did you use? If anything you would want to lessen your caster
Old 05-22-2014, 05:36 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rubiconjk09
You need the smaller diameter ram. The 1.75" ram they put in the extreme duty kits has more power and fluid, but it doesn't react quickly enough to steering input.

If you swap to a 1.5" ram, you will have a completely different experience. It reacts much more quickly to steering input.

You don't want more than about 4.5* caster.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

This ^

Also, and not to go off on a tangent, be sure you have your front control arms at the correct lengths. TF's instructions, both the ones that come with their lift kit and the little sheet that comes with their Flexarms are incorrect. You want your lower front arms at somewhere between 23 - 23 1/4", and the uppers at 18 3/4" to start. (The latter will require you to use the inner holes on the forks. Teraflex for some reason will have you rack the arms out as much as 1" more than this, which causes spring bow, parts interference issues and bad handling.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also check your pitman arm nut. Mine was loose and give me exactly the same result. Fine around town, fat chick on ice skates handing at 60mph and above.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
You need the smaller diameter ram. The 1.75" ram they put in the extreme duty kits has more power and fluid, but it doesn't react quickly enough to steering input. If you swap to a 1.5" ram, you will have a completely different experience. It reacts much more quickly to steering input. You don't want more than about 4.5* caster.
When i was ordering my kit from them a few weeks ago, Lance at PSC warned me about the larger ram and thats the effect he described on the highway if the ram was not matched properly in size to the application.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

You need the smaller diameter ram. The 1.75" ram they put in the extreme duty kits has more power and fluid, but it doesn't react quickly enough to steering input.

If you swap to a 1.5" ram, you will have a completely different experience. It reacts much more quickly to steering input.

Thanks for the response ... I won this extreme duty kit on ebay for half the price of new so I'm still ahead of the game. I will be ordering the 1.5" ram.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as others said 1.5 is the answer when it comes to ram size.. PSC is not the only company on them, but they are only a tad higher priced than others.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Which one 1.5" x 6" or the 1.5" x 8" ? ..... The one that comes with the JK Extreme Kit is the 1.75" x 6.75"
Old 05-23-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Measure your steering throw. I have the 1.5x6 and still needed an additional limit.

Quick Reply: Problems after install PSC hydro assist kit