Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Problems staying ON the highway

Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems staying ON the highway

I recently put a 2.5" Teraflex spacer lift (with shock ext) BB on my 2012 2 door with BFG AT's 33". Now if seems borderline impossible to drive past 120 kph and any small crack or bump in the road sends me FLYING to the left or right of the road. A small pothole on my way to work launches me into the other lane when im going 60 or 70. I hit the same but in a Toyota Yaris and i barely felt the pothole at all, seems a bit backwards. I know a jeeps a jeep, but i'm terrified to drive over 50. Any help, i was thinking new shocks, i have read a lot from other people on this problem. All my bolt are still torqued correctly. Hmmmm
Old 08-14-2012, 07:39 PM
JK Freak

You might have a caster issue on your front end after the lift. I recommend buying the Rough Country control arm relocation brackets or the AEV ones. That will give you more straight line stability. I run them. I almost guarantee that's the issue.

Then get new quality shocks like bilsteins or something other than the short factory ones. They really limit the ride quality.

Then get full coils. You won't regret it.

In the mean time check to make sure your track bar has your axle centered properly. Also check your drag link and your steering box by the pitman arm.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

the problem is you drive a toyota yaris!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keegpizzle
I recently put a 2.5" Teraflex spacer lift (with shock ext) BB on my 2012 2 door with BFG AT's 33". Now if seems borderline impossible to drive past 120 kph and any small crack or bump in the road sends me FLYING to the left or right of the road. A small pothole on my way to work launches me into the other lane when im going 60 or 70. I hit the same but in a Toyota Yaris and i barely felt the pothole at all, seems a bit backwards. I know a jeeps a jeep, but i'm terrified to drive over 50. Any help, i was thinking new shocks, i have read a lot from other people on this problem. All my bolt are still torqued correctly. Hmmmm
Check your tow in, should be about 1/8 inch. Theres a write up on how to check it and adjust it on Project JK. Its easy to do and is more than likely your problem. If your not mechanichally inclined take it to an alignment shop.
Rob
Old 08-15-2012, 02:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

If it did not do it before the spacers you shouldnt need to buy more stuff. It sounds like you just have something wrong. Recheck all the bolts and mounts, make sure nothing is out of place. Did you settle the suspension before final tightening? What air pressure are you running in your tires? If everything checks out and the tire pressure is good I agree with the others and would get an alignment. It's very possible that something may have been knockeed out of adjustment You can do a basic alignment with a tape measure to at least make it able to drive to the alignment shop.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had same problem when I installed my BB. I realized I didn't loosen lower control arm or track bar bolts before the install do after all the bushings are binding up causing the weird bump steer. I put the jeep in the air and loosened everything up then lowered it down on the ground and re-torqued it all. Drove like new!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 AM
JK Freak

I have a problem staying on the road in my jeep to...well any paved road for that matter
Old 08-15-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Freak

Toe adjustment, tire pressure, and track bar brace made the biggest difference for me. I was surprised how off my toe was from the factory.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

ill check all those out, i do remember it being quite hard on the road after i put my 33's on (no lift) also, but not with my crappy stock 29's im gonna go retorque everything
Old 08-15-2012, 06:26 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

assuming your tie rod is not bent, you should NOT need to adjust your toe after installing ANY lift. unlike the old TJ steering system, NOTHING will change on a JK when lifted. running more toe-in will only cause your tires to wear out poorly. while caster shouldn't be an issue with such a small lift, there will have been a change to it and that will contribute to some of your problem but, it shouldn't be enough to matter. brand new tires and especially ones with too much air will behave like this and i would recommend that you run your 33's somewhere closer to 30-35 psi tops. i would start there.

Quick Reply: Problems staying ON the highway