Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ProComp wheels clear coat peeling...

Old 04-11-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProComp wheels clear coat peeling...

Anybody had this problem? or it's just me my 1 year old 8089 rims look like from the seventy now
Old 04-11-2009, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't heard of any, but I just put the same wheels on last month. If mine do that, I'm taking them back to the place I got them from to see if they are covered by warranty. I didn't buy the Dick Cepek DC-1 blk wheels because they said there were having problems with the clear coat? I'm sure I will have the same luck!
Old 05-16-2009, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine did. I have the knightchrome and they peel when they stay wet too long. Where ever the clearcoat peels it turns from chrome color to black. Very ugly. I am probably going to get them powder coated.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW4006
Mine did. I have the knightchrome and they peel when they stay wet too long. Where ever the clearcoat peels it turns from chrome color to black. Very ugly. I am probably going to get them powder coated.
oh another knight chrome owner, do yours match? are the black chrome like they are supposed to be? Out of the 5 of mine one has black in it the rest pretty much look like regular chrome, I tried to return them when I first got them but 4wheelparts wouldnt take them back because they were mounted already. Procomp would take them back if I paid for shipping and I'd have to pay to have old unmounted and new mounted, I was going to do it until I scratched them that first weekend. THEY SUCK, they sell the rims and they know that different batches of the knight chrome NEVER MATCH Idiots for selling them if they cant match them IMO.

and yes ALL of my rims are peeling
Old 05-16-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:.
i have the 8179's and all i can say is we get what we pay for. if in a years time this starts to happen to me... Spyderlocks if not sooner
what did u pay for yours? because I paid about 1300 for my rims and I sure as hell didnt get close to what I paid for
Old 05-16-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tkob1060
what did u pay for yours? because I paid about 1300 for my rims and I sure as hell didnt get close to what I paid for
If you paid $1300.00 for those, I hope that price included tires
Old 05-16-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

In Washington State the road de-icer eats all aluminum especially after a rock chips the sealer ( wheels, steps, toolboxes). I was talking to Discount Tire this week and no one will warranty for damage by de-icer.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cim330
Anybody had this problem? or it's just me my 1 year old 8089 rims look like from the seventy now
Haha join the club man!!!! Mine started flaking off but I got lucky and the place that I bought them from ordered me 5 new ones under manufacturer defect It took way too damn long but I got them eventually. Anyways, call the place you bought them from and see if you can get them replaced that way and if not, make a direct call to Pro Comp....
Old 05-16-2009, 11:34 AM
pup
JK Enthusiast

My 8179s look pretty bad around the fake beadlock bolts. The combination of dissimilar metals and non-coated aluminum doesn't work out so well. I should have just gotten steelies in the first place!
Old 05-16-2009, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi Master

I havent noticed any issues with mine, I figured what the salt does get, the Rocks will anyhow

Quick Reply: ProComp wheels clear coat peeling...