Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ProRock44 vs. Prorock 44 unlimited

Old 04-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac31
Dynatrac, will my stock carrier and shims carry directly over to the new housing? Or will it need set up differently?
In many cases it is an nearly identical setup but you'll want to have it professionally done to be sure.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to hijack....

but if I put a prorock 44 in the front of a sport unlimited... it's basically the same as the dana44 in the back?

And would that have the same features as a stock rubi... as far as quick disco.. etc?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyEng875
not to hijack....

but if I put a prorock 44 in the front of a sport unlimited... it's basically the same as the dana44 in the back?

And would that have the same features as a stock rubi... as far as quick disco.. etc?
The ring and pinion would be the same as a Rubi but you'd probably use a better than Rubi locker- everyone uses an ARB when replacing a 30 front instead of the factory Tru-Loc. At the minimum you'd have better inner shafts as all the common options use a 4340 inner shaft (minimum- many use the far better RCV shaft- inner and outer). You would retain your existing anti-sway bar.

If you want to talk more about this, please PM me a number and I'll call you and go over the needed parts and pieces.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArmyEng875
not to hijack....

I put a PR 44 unlimited to replace my D30 in my sport unlimited. Like Dynatrac said, I went ARB locker, and RCVs. Also went with the heavy duty axle tubes. When you price out the options, upgrades become very feasible. For example, the PR44 came with the 4340 inners, but I had to supply the outers and U joints. When I priced out the cost for the outers and U joints, it was so close to the cost for the RCV upgrade that I went with RCV.

The PR 44 does not have swaybar disconnects; so you need to handle that yourself. I also went with a high steer kit, the result of which is that my old disconnects would not swing out of the way on the passenger side do to the flip kit; JKS disconnects quickly fixed that.

That is really the only problem I ran into with the install. Not quite the same features as a stock rubi, but much stronger

Last edited by Grognard; 04-13-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grognard

I put a PR 44 unlimited to replace my D30 in my sport unlimited. Like Dynatrac said, I went ARB locker, and RCVs. Also went with the heavy duty axle tubes. When you price out the options, upgrades become very feasible. For example, the PR44 came with the 4340 inners, but I had to supply the outers and U joints. When I priced out the cost for the outers and U joints, it was so close to the cost for the RCV upgrade that I went with RCV.

The PR 44 does not have swaybar disconnects; so you need to handle that yourself. I also went with a high steer kit, the result of which is that my old disconnects would not swing out of the way on the passenger side do to the flip kit; JKS disconnects quickly fixed that.

That is really the only problem I ran into with the install. Not quite the same features as a stock rubi, but much stronger
Which high steer kit did you use? Need one for a 3" tube instead of the stock 2.5" tube. Think the only ones are weld on brackets?

Quick Reply: ProRock44 vs. Prorock 44 unlimited