Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

pros and cons with forced induction on an oil consuming 3.8

Old 10-19-2012, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros and cons with forced induction on an oil consuming 3.8

I've been debating doing forced induction on my 3.8. I'm curious as to whether anyone has done a supercharger set up that replaces the intake manifold like the Magnasun TVS?
my concern is that I have an oil consumer... now it doesn't burn oil so I'm not too concerned about possible blow by from added boost, most of my consumption is through the PCV valve. I know replacing this valve has been known to fix it but my concern is whether it's a problem with the actual location and setup of the actual PCV system.
on a set up that does replace the intake manifold do they relocate part of the pcv system? and if so does that tend to help or hurt with oil consumption?
have any of you that have converted to forced induction had oil consumption issues? and if so did they get better or worse?
with oil contamination in the fuel/air mixture isn't that going to increase my chances for knock regardless of octane and ignition timing?
I'm sorry for the laundry list of questions I'm just trying to figure out if it's even worth spending the money on forced induction if its only going to possibly increase my oil consumption and chances of running her low, or having to add oil even more often then I do already! Thanks for the feedback and opinions
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

If you are losing oil through your PCV, its becuase of blow by. If you are already getting blow by then adding FI will only make it worst. Yes oil in the intake will increase knocking. Wranglers have such a high resale value, if you want/need more power trade yours in for a 12 or 13 with the pentastar. The difference between my friends 3.8 and my pentastar is ridiculous.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldnt do it if you actually have blow by. But I think alot of people have a misconception about there engines burning oil. Every manufacture of these newer cars,jeeps or trucks says that some oil consumption is normal and as a tech let me tell you every car burns oil some more than others and every manufacture has a different amount of consumption that they would say is normal.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I wouldn't waste the money on an oil consuming motor

Quick Reply: pros and cons with forced induction on an oil consuming 3.8