Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pros and Cons of LA vs Short Arm Suspensions

Old 06-11-2008, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and Cons of LA vs Short Arm Suspensions

I am finally starting to decide on a suspension to order for the Jeep. I would like to know the pros, cons, and differences between long arm and short arm suspensions. I have seen short arm suspensions with more flex then LA kits and so on. I am just looking for specifics at the moment.

If possible I would like to know peoples experiences with their suspensions as well as the technical pros, cons, and differences between the two.

Ride, flex, durability, ect.

If any vendors see this post and care to give comments and opinions on the pros, cons, and differences between their own products I would greatly appreciate it. It might just nudge me in their direction.

Thanks everyone,

Manny

Last edited by MannyLedezma; 06-11-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: ???
Old 06-12-2008, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

crickets chirping????
Old 06-12-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HITMONEY
I have a 6" LA that was recently installed (last week) so I cannot vouch for its off road prowess quite yet. It's on road ride and stability is nothing short of incredible. With a longer control arm it will be more horizontal which means it transfers less shock upwards into the frame, as a result you get a smoother ride.

The main drawback of LA kits is expense and the fact that it requires alot of labor to install. It is a whole new suspension system whereas a regular lift kit utilizing the factory control arms is a modification to the stock suspension.

The argument from some is the fact that the JK has what would be considered mid-length control arms already from factory and that a LA kit is not needed. This may hold some credence when it comes to flex. But when it comes to driveablity with a lift, I don't think you can match a LA when it comes to lifts.
I've got exactly the same question as Manny. Everything you just said sounds logical, but can you compare your LA ride to a JK w/adjustable "non-long" arms on a similiar (ie 4door) JK? For example, a 3-4" kit like RE's short arm or Clayton's?
Some say the ride with (for example) Clayton's 3.5" kit is tons better than stock, and if so, is a LA even better?
Inquiring minds NEED to know!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot depends on how tall of a kit do you want. TeraFlex has a 3"/4"/6" LA kits, plus lots of short arm kits in the 3"-4" range.
HITMONEY- good example there!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a basic 4" superlift on my 4door and love it. It handles great on road (many time I go over 90 mph without any problem) and off-road it is great and can't ask for more. On the trail people are impresses with its flex and am constantly ask what my setup is. I will also say that at a recent NOVA jeep show it scored 776 on the rti ramp and I was told that was the best they have seen yet. Only thing I will change is my tire size from 35 to 40 now that I have tube fenders.
I have considered a coilover but I have better things to spend my money on like dana 60 and hemi.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MD_Rubi
I have a basic 4" superlift on my 4door and love it. It handles great on road (many time I go over 90 mph without any problem) and off-road it is great and can't ask for more. On the trail people are impresses with its flex and am constantly ask what my setup is. I will also say that at a recent NOVA jeep show it scored 776 on the rti ramp and I was told that was the best they have seen yet. Only thing I will change is my tire size from 35 to 40 now that I have tube fenders.
I have considered a coilover but I have better things to spend my money on like dana 60 and hemi.
The Quest For THe Holy Grail,... Where is it, and what is the wind speed velocity of a sparrow???

And should I go to 40's right away??!!

I honestly hope everyone with the same setup as you has the same reply. You will have done very well indeed. You might have found a way to the Holy Grail.

The problem with asking for anyone to rate their ride is that few have real driving experience with more than one, or maybe a few lifts. I am also guilty of this.

I went the long arm route, Full Traction 4", and I love it as well. I'm probably out some bucks, comparatively, but I like what I have and the price I paid for it. It is the only JK lift I have personal experience with. And I am very happy with it.

It handles like a sports car on mountain roads, and rocks hard on trails.

I am running my KM2's at around 34-36 PSI. There is NO harshness to the ride at all.

But guilty I am of being very happy with my lift as well.

To really check all things out, go to a real Jeep local shop, tell them you want to drive lifts on different JK's being built, and critique them yourself. There is a way to objectively figure this out on your own.

A lot of people will vouch for their lifts.

Check out as many as possible.

Buy as much as you can, and go quality.

And Enjoy!!

Remember, you ain't marrying any of this stuff. It can be changed at will as long as you can pay for it.

Just Empty Every Pocket.

This works for me.

And don't even try,...

I, too, am proud.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

Good eye Hitman...
Old 06-12-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HITMONEY
You forgot the license plate mod in a few of those pics..

Looking good!
No $h!t.

I drive around all day with it unscrambeled, and figured wtf why not on the jk-forum.

I just accessed some older pics when I was more naive.

Am I wrong??
Old 06-12-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I appreciate the info guys. It would be nice to be able to drive different lifts.

Teraflex, One of my good friends here in Orlando has your LA kit and I am completely impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of your product. Your 4" inch LA kit is actually on the top of my list.

You have LA kits in 3" and 4" as well as short arm kits in 3" and 4"; could you elaborate as a manufacturer the pros, cons, and differences between your LA and short arm kits. That is of course, except for the obvious like price, and the length of the arms.

Also, with all due respect to your competition. Could you elaborate on the differences between your LA kits compared to say Pro Comp or RE? I know as a company and as professionals you have to know your competition.

Now before anyone starts to argue here, lets show some respect and professionalism to any responses to this question. Lets please keep this on track.

I would like to here responses from vendors as it is their product and I'm sure many more people as well as myself would benefit from their input before dropping thousands on a suspension.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MannyLedezma
I appreciate the info guys. It would be nice to be able to drive different lifts.

Teraflex, One of my good friends here in Orlando has your LA kit and I am completely impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of your product. Your 4" inch LA kit is actually on the top of my list.

You have LA kits in 3" and 4" as well as short arm kits in 3" and 4"; could you elaborate as a manufacturer the pros, cons, and differences between your LA and short arm kits. That is of course, except for the obvious like price, and the length of the arms.

Also, with all due respect to your competition. Could you elaborate on the differences between your LA kits compared to say Pro Comp or RE? I know as a company and as professionals you have to know your competition.

Now before anyone starts to argue here, lets show some respect and professionalism to any responses to this question. Lets please keep this on track.

I would like to here responses from vendors as it is their product and I'm sure many more people as well as myself would benefit from their input before dropping thousands on a suspension.

You might hit them in the Sponsors arena,...

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of LA vs Short Arm Suspensions