Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

PSI andTPMS

Old 04-09-2013, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSI andTPMS

So I just got new wheels and tires and will post up pics once installed but quick few questions.

I got TA KOs 33x10.5 on 15x8. Originally I was gonna go with the 33x12.5 distracts but went with the narrower tire because of the recommendations. So anyone running this setup and if so what PSI are u running it tires at?

Last question is I ordered the set from discount so the tires are mounted and balanced on the wheels. Now my plan was to just mount them myself but wondering if I should have them mounted by the dealership and have them transfer my tpms sensors over. However my understanding is then not only would I have to pay for mounting but also balancing as they would have to remove the tire from the wheels etc.

What are ur opinions or what would u recommend.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my wheel swap at Discount.. Traded the stock for 35's :-) Anyway, I was halfway home (30 miles) and I realized my TPMS light was on.. Called them and we all agreed they forgot to do the swap of the TPMS sensor.. Which was my fault because I was rushing them.. The short answer is have Discount swap the sensor onto the new rim..they are charging me $30 when I take all 10 of my tires back for them to do the swap... Easy..

I believe the factory setting is 32 psi, but I could be wrong..you can buy an AEV procal and lower that number if you want.. I don't mind the light when I'm wheeling though... But I did order my procal to calibrate my speedo so I am sure I will change the minimum...

Bullfrog
Old 04-09-2013, 07:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by anthony20031
So I just got new wheels and tires and will post up pics once installed but quick few questions.

I got TA KOs 33x10.5 on 15x8. Originally I was gonna go with the 33x12.5 distracts but went with the narrower tire because of the recommendations. So anyone running this setup and if so what PSI are u running it tires at?

Last question is I ordered the set from discount so the tires are mounted and balanced on the wheels. Now my plan was to just mount them myself but wondering if I should have them mounted by the dealership and have them transfer my tpms sensors over. However my understanding is then not only would I have to pay for mounting but also balancing as they would have to remove the tire from the wheels etc.

What are ur opinions or what would u recommend.
Yeah discount charges 30 but you get warranty (I did and two tires for free so far :-) ) they'll prob do it for free. They always negotiate
Old 04-10-2013, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Problem is I had to order my new set online because the closest Discount is 140 miles from me lol. So I would just go to my dealer. The benefit to going to the dealer is I could have them switch the sensors. I thought in order to switch the sensors they would have to take off the tires from the wheels. That would result in having to remount and rebalance which would increase what they charge me right?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by anthony20031
Problem is I had to order my new set online because the closest Discount is 140 miles from me lol. So I would just go to my dealer. The benefit to going to the dealer is I could have them switch the sensors. I thought in order to switch the sensors they would have to take off the tires from the wheels. That would result in having to remount and rebalance which would increase what they charge me right?
They don't really take tire off rim. They unseat it and push tire bead down and unscrew it. Take min or two each tire
Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Ah ok. Guess I will call them and ask what they will charge. Was just planning to put them on myself but if they do it for $50 or $60 probably worth it to get the sensors switched.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Check with DTD to verify that they did not install new sensors in your new rims. When I ordered from TireRack last year they required the sensors because they said it was a leagal issue. May have been BS, but worth a call prior to paying the dealer to do anything.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to wheel it drop the TPMS completely and pick up a procal.

Those stems do not play nice when touched by rocks. I have seen a few people bust one and have to call it a day due to not having a spare that will hold air anymore. But, check local laws first and make sure you can still pass inspection. No one cares about TPMS in NH, but if your tires stick out 1/2" from the fender, you're in trouble!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

Yh in Fl we dont need inspections. I figured I would need a procal anyways to fix my speedometer being off...well I assume it will be off going from 29s to 33s lol.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Oh and they did ask if I wantes sensors installed but they were like $40 a pop I think so I said no lol.

At the time I was planning on running without them but was planning on putting the new tires and wheels this weekend but the wife offered to drive it to dealership on friday to have it done, "so I can spend more time this weekend with her and our daughter", but figured only way or if I was going to pay for them to be put on might as well pay for the tpms switch.

Thinking about just putting them on myself without tpms. I do need new bumpstops for my spare.

Last edited by anthony20031; 04-10-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Quick Reply: PSI andTPMS