Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulsing Vibration After New Gears Installed

Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question: should the front and rear drive shafts rotate or have the same amount of rotational play? What I mean is, when I'm under the Jeep and I grab the drive shafts with my hand, I can rotate the front shaft about 1/2" of a turn, and the rear almost no rotation at all. Is this normal?

FYI: I just re-geared and rebuilt both diffs. I could swear I'm hearing a bearing noise under 40 mph. It's constant sounding with no change in sound if I am on/off the gas. It's speed related. Almost sounds like worn brake pads (while coasting, not under braking).

Mind you, IT'S VERY SLIGHT. Most wouldn't hear it. Wind noise drowns it out. It could all be in my head.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Question: should the front and rear drive shafts rotate or have the same amount of rotational play? What I mean is, when I'm under the Jeep and I grab the drive shafts with my hand, I can rotate the front shaft about 1/2" of a turn, and the rear almost no rotation at all. Is this normal?

FYI: I just re-geared and rebuilt both diffs. I could swear I'm hearing a bearing noise under 40 mph. It's constant sounding with no change in sound if I am on/off the gas. It's speed related. Almost sounds like worn brake pads (while coasting, not under braking).

Mind you, IT'S VERY SLIGHT. Most wouldn't hear it. Wind noise drowns it out. It could all be in my head.
Sounds like you are just like me you know your jeep beat and if anything is different your the first to pick it out but if you had a shop gear it I would take it to them and let them check it out and ride in the passenger seat maybe there you can better identify the problem

*O||||||O*
Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 PM
JK Junkie

Yup, I have an appointment next week. But what about the difference in free play rotation between front and rear drive shafts? Is that normal?

AdamIsAdam
Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup, I have an appointment next week. But what about the difference in free play rotation between front and rear drive shafts? Is that normal?

AdamIsAdam
Hang on ill check mine right quick

*O||||||O*
Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

AdamIsAdam
I've got about 1/4 turn on the front and hardly any on the back driveshaft

*O||||||O*
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I did not install gears but, I did install new Coast F/R drive shafts this past Saturday. I just checked mine, and I have a very, very little play in the front shaft, and around the output shaft of the tc.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKJeepJunkie
I've got about 1/4 turn on the front and hardly any on the back driveshaft

*O||||||O*
Cool. Thanks! I wonder if it should be neutral, if that will make a difference. But anyway I think this is normal

AdamIsAdam
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 PM
JK Junkie

duh! I put it into Neutral and sure enough, the slack is equal front and rear.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

duh! I put it into Neutral and sure enough, the slack is equal front and rear.
Ok so eliminated that possibility are you still getting vibes from it when driving

*O||||||O*
Old 06-26-2013, 01:51 PM
JK Junkie

Mine never vibrated, just makes a slight constant sound that only varies with speed, not throttle input. But it's very slight.

AdamIsAdam

Quick Reply: Pulsing Vibration After New Gears Installed