JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   QQ: Hi Lift jack height? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/qq-hi-lift-jack-height-285225/)

Mbogan 09-07-2013 06:44 AM

QQ: Hi Lift jack height?

I need to purchase a Hi Lift Jack after lifting 2012 JK 2.5 w/ 35s. Whhis Hi Lift Jck should I get? 42 or 48? Which is most common?

afpilot82 09-07-2013 06:48 AM

48" is most common. They are for offroad use only and even then, can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. If you're just looking for a jack to change a tire, pick up a bottle jack or, as I did, use the AEV jack base with the stock scissor jack. Works perfectly!

Mbogan 09-07-2013 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by afpilot82 (Post 3670865)
48" is most common. They are for offroad use only and even then, can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. If you're just looking for a jack to change a tire, pick up a bottle jack or, as I did, use the AEV jack base with the stock scissor jack. Works perfectly!

Thanks for info. Is the Jack base sufficient to use on trails? If so, then that does make more sense. It just seemed like the Hi Lift jack was more popular..

LidLess07X 09-07-2013 07:06 AM

i have the AEV base and it's a quality piece. Very useful and easy to store as it's molded to fit in the rear cubby. The same can be achieved with a 1 foot long piece of pressure treated 6X6 or 4X4 but doesn't store as easily.

The Highlift is a very versatile tool for winching ,spreading, lifting etc., but can be dangerous. They are useless on factory plastic bumpers.

afpilot82 09-07-2013 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mbogan (Post 3670871)

Thanks for info. Is the Jack base sufficient to use on trails? If so, then that does make more sense. It just seemed like the Hi Lift jack was more popular..

Depends on the trail. I have both, the AEV base tucks nicely out of the way in the rear storage cubby as well.

Sahara Lee 09-07-2013 07:16 AM

X2

Originally Posted by afpilot82 (Post 3670865)

I also have the AEV jack base. Works great both on road and on trail. The best option to use with stock jack on 35" tires. More stable, lighter and easier to store than a couple of 2x6 blocks. Stores in cubby hole (at least on my 2010 JKUS). :yup:

AEV Conversions 40306002AA - AEV Jack Base for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Also see "Installation instructions" on that link for a picture of how it stores. I read somewhere that it may need to be trimmed a bit for later model JKs. :thinking:

Mbogan 09-07-2013 07:26 AM

NICE...thank you for ^^^^^^everyones input. I am ordering the AEV base right now. Great learning!!

ACP TED 09-07-2013 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee (Post 3670889)
I also have the AEV jack base. Works great both on road and on trail. The best option to use with stock jack on 35" tires. More stable, lighter and easier to store than a couple of 2x6 blocks. Stores in cubby hole (at least on my 2010 JKUS). :yup:

AEV Conversions 40306002AA - AEV Jack Base for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Also see "Installation instructions" on that link for a picture of how it stores. I read somewhere that it may need to be trimmed a bit for later model JKs. :thinking:

$56... Really? :doh: Well, I'll keep the 2x6's... And if needed, I'll at least have dry fire starter. :camping: