Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 2.5" TeraFlex spacers and replacement of springs

Old 06-03-2014, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about 2.5" TeraFlex spacers and replacement of springs

Hi everybody
I'm new to this forum and this is my very first post. I was hoping to qet some advice. And, yes, I have searched quite thoroughly, and, no, I haven't been able to find an answer to my specific question.

I have recently installed the TeraFlex 2.5" Budget Boost Lift to my -08 Sahara Unlimited. I have also installed a Warn M8000 winch and a Warn Elite Series bumper, so of course the front end is now sagging a bit. I'm therefore thinking of replacing my front end springs, which are grade 15/16 with Mopar's HD grade 18 springs. Since I've read elsewhere on this forum that the grade 18 springs are about 1" taller than grade 16 I'm hoping to regain the loss of height caused by the winch and the bumper. The net lift should be about the same as before the winch and the bumper so there shouldn't be any concerns about shocks, sway bar links, driveshaft or brake lines. I have also an adjustable track bar in front.

What do you think out there? Is this a proper way to go or am I missing something? Some advice would be very appreciated.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to JK-Forum Meccano!

I've got the same setup as you with the TF 2.5" BB on my JKU. After I added a bumper and winch it dropped my front #19 springs an entire inch. I'd I were you, I'd put 19's in for sure. Just because the 18's are an inch taller than the 16's doesn't mean you'll gain one entire inch after installation. The weight of the bumper and winch will impact the level-ness of the front end.

You can pick some springs up in the Billboard section or just go to the dealer like I did and grab them for $45 per spring. I switched to "Rubicon" shocks at the same time and loved the result. It was a much smoother ride and didn't feel like a boat while going over speed bumps anymore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-860305328.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	557359
Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
Welcome to JK-Forum Meccano!

I've got the same setup as you with the TF 2.5" BB on my JKU. After I added a bumper and winch it dropped my front #19 springs an entire inch. I'd I were you, I'd put 19's in for sure. Just because the 18's are an inch taller than the 16's doesn't mean you'll gain one entire inch after installation. The weight of the bumper and winch will impact the level-ness of the front end.

You can pick some springs up in the Billboard section or just go to the dealer like I did and grab them for $45 per spring. I switched to "Rubicon" shocks at the same time and loved the result. It was a much smoother ride and didn't feel like a boat while going over speed bumps anymore.

Attachment 557359
Thanks, Tripletsi, for your very quick reply. I didn't know there were 19s, but I will certainly consider them. And you didn't have to make any other alterations to the Jeep with the 19s? I mean except the sway bar links and the shocks which came with the lift kit?

While I'm at it I might as well ask if HD springs not only are taller but also stiffer?

Last edited by Meccano; 06-03-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Meccano

Thanks, Tripletsi, for your very quick reply. I didn't know there were 19s, but I will certainly consider them. And you didn't have to make any other alterations to the Jeep with the 19s? I mean except the sway bar links and the shocks which came with the lift kit?

While I'm at it I might as well ask if HD springs not only are taller but also stiffer?
It was a simple swap I did right in front of my townhouse, no other alterations needed! Your new sway bar links and shocks will work just fine. I haven't heard Mopar consider these HD springs, yes they are taller and may be a bit stiffer but it's due to their increased load rate. The higher number springs are usually found on JKU's with tow packages and hard tops (heavier models than say JK with a soft top).

Quick Reply: Question about 2.5" TeraFlex spacers and replacement of springs