Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

question about lift

Old 03-01-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about lift

so i started installing my teraflex 2.5" coil lift and got the back all done. went to start the front and there it was:
Click image for larger version

Name:	lift part.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	20029
Do i need to install this? the instructions never mentioned it. will it be okay without it since i don't have a big bumper back there?

thanks in advanced guys... i need to get back out there and finish up the front.

i'll post pics when done.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by btomike
so i started installing my teraflex 2.5" coil lift and got the back all done. went to start the front and there it was:
Attachment 20029
Do i need to install this? the instructions never mentioned it. will it be okay without it since i don't have a big bumper back there?

thanks in advanced guys... i need to get back out there and finish up the front.

i'll post pics when done.
they help with the retention of the spring, and are calculated in the height gain I think. I would install them.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

You probably should go ahead and install them. There's another thread somewhere that addresses the problem. The shock allows too much droop and the springs may not seat back properly if there is separation between the spring and the body.

Last edited by Denny2565; 03-01-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I installed mine. I don't know what problems you might run into i you don't. I do understand the OP post about the droop and springs not seating back properly.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

I believe they have to be installed. I just did my 2.5" teraflex lift several weeks ago and in my instructions it shows them needing to be installed. Once you get your stock spring out there will be a plastic part on top of the spring and the instructions I have told to put the stock rubber spacer over this part before the install. Might want to check out the Teraflex website and download the install instructions there to compare with what you have.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump..
i want to hear what the teraflex guy has to say...

by the way, thanks guys. i drove it to work today with out the part on. i think if its really needed that i would be ok driving on flat land until i have time to get it in.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

It will ride fine with it not in. If you go wheeling there is a chance the spring will not line back up correctly when reseeding if it loses contact with the body. It also helps level it out some on a 4 door.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:47 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

as mentioned, i would install it. with your frame rails on jack stands and tires removed, unbolt your shocks at the axle, sway bar links at the axle and track bar at the axle and then lower it down until the coils can be removed. leave everything else in place, install the retainers and then reassemble. should take all but 15-30 mins to do
Old 03-02-2009, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah i'm going to install them, but i'm okay to drive on roads for now right?

i'll fix it when my new rims and tires come in, hopefully tomorrow. 35's slightly used. Yes i'll post pics on another thread when i get them installed.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by btomike
yeah i'm going to install them, but i'm okay to drive on roads for now right?

i'll fix it when my new rims and tires come in, hopefully tomorrow. 35's slightly used. Yes i'll post pics on another thread when i get them installed.
oh yeah, you'll be fine without them. they just help to level things out and keep your coils in when flexing on the trail - that's all.

Quick Reply: question about lift