Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Question about Teraflex adjustable track bar and alignment issue

Old 10-13-2014, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Teraflex adjustable track bar and alignment issue

Two months ago, I purchased a 2007 Wrangler Sahara with a 4" lift and 32" tires, which I recently upgraded to 35" tires. After hitting death wobble two times now since I bought the Jeep, I decided to try the Teraflex adjustable track bar. The factory track bar seems liked it flexed slightly when doing a back and forth steering test.

Anyways, the directions said to bolt the frame side of the track bar first....bounce the jeep up and down a few times so it would center itself over the axle....then adjust the bar so the axle hole would line up. So I did this and after adjusting the bar, it was about an inch longer than the factory track bar.

When I test drove it, the steering wheel was now ****ed to about the 3 o'clock position, and twice in the 3 minute test drive, the ESP light came on. I knew this wasn't going to work so I adjusted the new track bar down to the same length as the original track bar. It drives ok now.

But what is the correct way? Surely with the 4" lift, the track bar should not still be factory length?

I also have a problem with the Jeep wondering a little at higher speeds, and it seems to pull to the right when braking. Any suggestions?
Old 10-13-2014, 03:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, when you change the track bar length the steering moves (drag link length didn't change and you moved the axle).

So, unbolt the track bar on one end and bounce. Visually or with an object, confirm the jeep is centered (maybe measure outside edge or tire to fender on both sides). Rebolt when straight.

Next, drive the jeep down your driveway being sure it is going straight ahead. Now, get out and adjust drag link until wheel is centered. And done. Make sure you properly torque all bolts to spec.

As for the death wobble, very unlikely the track bar had anything to do with it.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
First off, when you change the track bar length the steering moves (drag link length didn't change and you moved the axle).

So, unbolt the track bar on one end and bounce. Visually or with an object, confirm the jeep is centered (maybe measure outside edge or tire to fender on both sides). Rebolt when straight.

Next, drive the jeep down your driveway being sure it is going straight ahead. Now, get out and adjust drag link until wheel is centered. And done. Make sure you properly torque all bolts to spec.

As for the death wobble, very unlikely the track bar had anything to do with it.
If I read you right, I need to adjust the track bar so that I have the same amount of tire on both sides., which would work out to about 1/4 inch outside of each fender. if I readjust the drag link to make the steering wheel straight, will that also fix the problem with the ESP light coming on? Would an alignment most likely have to be done as well?
Old 10-13-2014, 04:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If the steering wheel is offcenter, the computer brain will think you are turning too much or skidding, and turns on the esp/bas/whatever to compensate. Straightening the steering wheel should fix this.

The trackbar centers the axle side to side under the jeep, which will in turn spin the steering wheel. So you want to do this before you center the steering wheel. Or center the steering, then center the axle, then center the steering wheel again, your choice.

The effectiveness of an alignment will depend on which components you have?

With 'stock' components, the alignment shop can adjust the Toe, and they can recenter the steering wheel. They can NOT adjust the caster or the camber or center the axles.

Since you do have an adj trackbar, add axle centering to the list. Do you have adj ca's? If so, add caster/pinion correction to the list. Offset/adj balljoints? Add camber correction to the list.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
If the steering wheel is offcenter, the computer brain will think you are turning too much or skidding, and turns on the esp/bas/whatever to compensate. Straightening the steering wheel should fix this.

The trackbar centers the axle side to side under the jeep, which will in turn spin the steering wheel. So you want to do this before you center the steering wheel. Or center the steering, then center the axle, then center the steering wheel again, your choice.

The effectiveness of an alignment will depend on which components you have?

With 'stock' components, the alignment shop can adjust the Toe, and they can recenter the steering wheel. They can NOT adjust the caster or the camber or center the axles.

Since you do have an adj trackbar, add axle centering to the list. Do you have adj ca's? If so, add caster/pinion correction to the list. Offset/adj balljoints? Add camber correction to the list.
Yes, that makes sense. I'm not sure if I have adjustable ca's (I'm guessing that means camber arms) or adj balljoints. I was planning to read up on how to adjust the caster and do that soon if it's not too hard.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

CA's = control arms.

Go up to JK Writeups - at the top is an index - if the links are still broke, just scroll down to the Steering or Troubleshooting sections and find the Basic DIY Alignment writeup. This has been moved offsite, so just click the green link to go to the actual writeup.

Assuming you do have adjustable control arms, that will show how to adjust the arms. It's just unbolting an arm, twisting left or right to lengthen/shorten (depending on which arm and whether you are increasing or decreasing caster/pinion), then lining up the holes and bolting it back up.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adjust track bar as described, then straighten steering wheel as close as you can. That will fix the ESP.

Totally separate from that is the death wobble issue you have. Go to a good shop and get an alignment. They should check your ball joints and other related components as well. If all checks out and issue is still there, good chance it is out of balance or worn tires.

Don't get all caught up with adjusting control arms. If you have them, let the alignment shop adjust them.

Quick Reply: Question about Teraflex adjustable track bar and alignment issue