Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about upgrading coils, shocks.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about upgrading coils, shocks.

I currently have a 2.5" rough country spacer lift. Looking to upgrade to Synergy 3" front and 2" rear coils. I have all component neccessary, but my issue is I revently upgraded to new Bilstein 5100's for 1-3" lifts. The 2" rear coils typically give around 2.5" of lift, and the front 3" coils typically give up to 3.5". Id rather not spent more money than I have to, so i'm wondering If I replace my front shocks with 3.5-5" Bilsteins, and continue to run the 1-3" Bilsteins on the rear, will it cause any issues?
Old 02-19-2018, 04:40 AM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm unable to inform you about the Bilstein shocks as that I've never had a set before, However it would be best to contact Bilstein and ask about what shocks would best be suited for your amount of travel needed in order to achieve the best articulation of your shocks.

I've done the same with the TJM shocks as their general manager sent me a detailed list of those shocks best suited for our build.. Here's the numbers the General Manager of TJM selected for our 1.5 inch suspension upgrade.

Front- 650GEL136X (TJM Long Travel-50mm)- Front 630 extended & 380 collapsed
Rear- 650XS236Z (TJM Stock-40mm)- Rear 560 extended & 350 collapsed
Check with Bilstein for numbers like this based on your current setup.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:41 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

It should not be an issue but you can always install the coils with your current shocks and drive around on them for a week or so to let them settle in and then take some measurements so you can size them for your set up. Bilstein has their lengths listed on their website for reference.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Billys for 1.5-3 lifts are fairly short ie 15.3" -25" for rears and 15" and 24.6" for front so you will be fine you just won't get max droop up front. you will be able to get by with minimal bumpstop. If you have the shocks run them until you want more.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
Billys for 1.5-3 lifts are fairly short ie 15.3" -25" for rears and 15" and 24.6" for front so you will be fine you just won't get max droop up front. you will be able to get by with minimal bumpstop. If you have the shocks run them until you want more.
He wants to swap to the 3-5" length shocks up front. (27.56 / 16.41 / 11.15 travel)

As was mentioned in your other post on this, check the brake and abs lines, you might see about disconnecting them from the mounts to get more slack, or maybe look at brackets or new longer lines. Also make sure that the new bumpstops are tall enough to keep the longer shocks from over-compressing. And though unlikely, check that the coils don't fall out at full extension.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
He wants to swap to the 3-5" length shocks up front. (27.56 / 16.41 / 11.15 travel)

As was mentioned in your other post on this, check the brake and abs lines, you might see about disconnecting them from the mounts to get more slack, or maybe look at brackets or new longer lines. Also make sure that the new bumpstops are tall enough to keep the longer shocks from over-compressing. And though unlikely, check that the coils don't fall out at full extension.
dang I need to go back to reading 101 lol. I totally missed the last part.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey all, spoke to a Bilstein tech and he recommended I run the 3-5" 5100's in front and keep my rears. Went ahead and ordered the coils, bump stops, two front shocks, and an exhaust kit for the hell of it. Gonna measure out the shocks once I get the new coils on and see how it all fits together. Will let you all know how it goes after I spend all day Sunday with my buddy throwing it all on.

Quick Reply: Questions about upgrading coils, shocks.