Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Questions on labor hours so I don't get ripped off

Old 02-04-2015, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brikino
You know what's sad...I have been a sports car person for 20+ years and switched to a 4runner and JK a few years ago. I said to myself, "What cool, kick a$$ nice people there are on the forums and they're really cool in person too!" For the most part, the responses I've received on this thread have affirmed that. On the other hand, based on some of the responses here, the same holier than thou, screw those new to the scene, make a judgement call on someone whom you have never met let alone have one clue about crappy attitude that lives in the sports car world is alive and well even here in the Jeep world and forums. To those who have given constructive criticism and advice, thank you very much I hope to repay the favor to you one day. To those who think I've never turned a wrench before, perhaps you should try running a few laps with some of the BMW, Porche. Audi, Ferrari or Lambo egomaniacs - you'd fit right in. PS Knowing that you do NOT know everything and knowing that turning a wrench on an M3 race car is NOT the same as turning a wrench on a lifted Jeep is what separates a smart person from a not-so-smart person and ego from humility. Thanks again to those who chimed in with constructive criticism and advice. Much appreciated!
Honestly, we were trying to offer some wisdom and insight. No need to take offense. Next time provide a little more detail on the situation.

Maybe you don't like our comments, but I assure you there are no ego issues here. The guys who challenge you are the ones you want on the trail when you are. We've seen it all and fixed it all. Every day people are on here posting about issues. Years of helping those people leads to a collective knowledge. I want jeep owners to have a great experience. So, I provide the collective insight to help make that happen. If
you want to call us dicks for that, then so be it. We don't need your respect or appreciation.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK_Crawler
What am I stealing? I'm sure if the OP has the money to get the parts, he has it to have parts maintained. Also him maintaining the jeep doesn't matter, yes it's a potential danger to himself and others. But I'm sure your not going around worrying about every car on the road or the OP for that matter... People neglect to maintain their vehicles everyday so your comment makes no sense in regards to his future mods. Are you out there offering to help fix people's vehicles? Nope you and others are sitting behind the computer bashing him because he wants to mod his jeep and doesn't have time and is trying to seek advice on what's fair for him and his buddy/friend. What's a morgage have to do with the OP's question? What's does it have to do with me? I don't sell mortgages and I don't sell lift kits... I install them and they are installed correctly and are scheduled to come back after 500miles for a inspection and re-torque of necessary components. Don't get me confused with half the automotive industry, because I have pride in what I do and want every vehicle to be as safe as my own. Also my " who cares" comments were for all those that were bashing the OP for not putting in the wrench time himself, if you were one of them I can see why you are but hurt lol.. If not I don't understand why you went off on a tangent, but hey if that's what makes you happy continue on. I build my jeep for myself and others on here claim to do the same, then get bashed for reasons like those posted in here. Point I was making is answer the mans question and press on, instead of saying this is pointless or you should do it yourself and then bashing him when he says he doesn't have the time. Time is money for most people and obviously his time is precisious to him. The aftermarket automotive industry is a billion dollar industry and because of people like the OP and others, small business are able to make a living installing these parts because they don't have the time or skill. Does that make them any less apart of the jeep community, it shouldn't but others give another impression with their jackass comments. Don't knock him down for seeking someone else's help for what ever reason. The best constructive advice was to have a get together of fellow jeepers to help the guy out.. Also you might want to read that last 2 sentences you wrote and maybe seek your own advice... I'll quote it for you incase you don't recall what you wrote.
I'll go in order of your comments.

- sorry, you are correct, it's the people you work for that steal. I assure you that I know 5x more about dealership management and economics, than you will learn in a lifetime. Am I helping people? Haha. In the last week, I stopped to change two flat tires in freezing ass cold so people didn't have to wait for AAA.

- I care about people being able to take care of their vehicles. When someone you care about dies because some jack off didn't care, then some talk to me - I'll help you through it.

- Am I offering to fix people's vehicles? Hahaha. In the last week I stopped to fix two flat tires. Why? Because it was 10 degrees out and no one wants to wait 2 hours for AAA. In 2014 alone, I easily spent 100 hours working on other peoples Jeeps to fix sh## that dealers screwed up. Right up to an axle swap. I volunteer more hours in a year than you do in a decade.

- it's spelled "butt" not "but"

- Sure, time is money. I not only do all my own work, but work for others jeeps (for free). Trust me, you won't find anyone with a greater opportunity cost than me.

- I have no issue with the OP. Never bashed him. All I did was make some suggestions to think about based on a knowledge he doesn't have.

- I'm a nice guy, but when it comes to justifying overcharging for parts and labor because you're a small business - That's what's wrong with this world.

- As for your last comment, I donate more hours to the jeep community in a year, than you do in a decade.

Last edited by k0260; 02-07-2015 at 08:01 PM. Reason: un civil discussion
Old 02-04-2015, 06:35 PM
JK Jedi

As said above a local jeep group or friend would be best value. Ive done damn near all these things for free. Hell almost 30 hours on my neighbors at NO charge. Even if i do charge someone its usually only around 20 bucks and hour. Not much listed there is to difficult. I do it free and if i ever was in a fubar scenario i know almost all the people ive helped would be there in a second if i needed help. Hell that day i rip a whole axle off im sire there will be a few people to help very quickly to drag that heep off the rocks. Its the times like that that make me glad ive helped people out.

Im more wondering why you think your "friend" will rip you off yet you seem to be dictating the price youll pay?

Last edited by Maertz; 02-04-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Honestly, we were trying to offer some wisdom and insight. No need to take offense. Next time provide a little more detail on the situation.

Maybe you don't like our comments, but I assure you there are no ego issues here. The guys who challenge you are the ones you want on the trail when you are. We've seen it all and fixed it all. Every day people are on here posting about issues. Years of helping those people leads to a collective knowledge. I want jeep owners to have a great experience. So, I provide the collective insight to help make that happen. If
you want to call us dicks for that, then so be it. We don't need your respect or appreciation.
Sorry I wasn't clear the first time around. My bad. I appreciate the tips and advice from all those that offered it.

It's not the advice and tips I don't like. And I never called anyone a dick. It's the ignorant comments about not having turned a wrench and similar comments from people who have no clue what my background is that are rude, uncalled for and disappointing.

Yes, I know very little about Jeeps compared to most of you and compared to other types of vehicles. That's why I'm asking the questions and want to learn. And forgive me if I'm "wrong", but for every person who seems to know everything about about Jeeps, there's someone else who says their advice is wrong. So who is really the "expert"? You could say that it's no one and a lot is based on personal experience and personal preference.

As far as learning from everyone, I learned a long time ago that the hunched over old guy my father's age can teach me more and save me more money in 15 minutes of listening to him than listening to someone half their age for over 10 hours. But spending 10 hours with someone half their age is also very valuable. I asked the questions I did because I want to be educated with Jeeps just as I am with the other things I love and have a passion for.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:34 AM
JK Jedi

I think the age thing is somewhat irrelevant and depends on weather they have been wrenching on jeeps and such or not. ... Im 26 and have done alot more that plenty of people who are alot older then me when it comes to building/working on jeeps. But i do see your side plenty of other people who have been doing then same for alot longer than me always can teach me something.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Wow this thread escalated quickly!!
Old 02-06-2015, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
Wow this thread escalated quickly!!
Seriously, the thread went from a simple question of "how many hours" to this shiz storm. Unbelievable.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by brikino
Sorry I wasn't clear the first time around. My bad. I appreciate the tips and advice from all those that offered it. It's not the advice and tips I don't like. And I never called anyone a dick. It's the ignorant comments about not having turned a wrench and similar comments from people who have no clue what my background is that are rude, uncalled for and disappointing. Yes, I know very little about Jeeps compared to most of you and compared to other types of vehicles. That's why I'm asking the questions and want to learn. And forgive me if I'm "wrong", but for every person who seems to know everything about about Jeeps, there's someone else who says their advice is wrong. So who is really the "expert"? You could say that it's no one and a lot is based on personal experience and personal preference. As far as learning from everyone, I learned a long time ago that the hunched over old guy my father's age can teach me more and save me more money in 15 minutes of listening to him than listening to someone half their age for over 10 hours. But spending 10 hours with someone half their age is also very valuable. I asked the questions I did because I want to be educated with Jeeps just as I am with the other things I love and have a passion for.
You're a smart person. As noted, some of us have been around the block too many times. It's not just personal experience, but hundreds of data points from others (trust me though, some of us have been there and done that, many, many times). We'd never hold someone back.

That all said, no one was questioning your knowledge or ability. Sometimes digital communication is far less than ideal as it is open to interpretation. Anyway, we're here to help and provide insight. Cut some of us old timers a little slack as we've seen most iterations and want to avoid the bad ones.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

Maybe you don't like our comments, but I assure you there are no ego issues here. .
Somebody made the coment that he doubts the op owns any tools. Thats uncalled for.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

are you girls done arguing or what? Get over it and move the heck on, i swear some of you are worst these reality shows out there.

Quick Reply: Questions on labor hours so I don't get ripped off