Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Quick Stock Stubby Bumper Question

Old 09-01-2007, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't even see why you would want to waste your time and money buying a sawzall when you can buy the basic stubby from Expedition One for $189 and then probably sell your stock bumper on ebay or craigslist.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you're going to need that sawzall when you cut your fenders anyway, sooooo...
Old 09-01-2007, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

trying to do this is a complete waste of time and fu**ing, incredibly difficult to make look good if you are trying to plastic weld the ends.
don't attempt this if you have never plastic welded before or aren't used to cutting plastic.

do i sound pissed? it's because i'm a whole lotta damn pissed off. why because all these jackasses on here that made their stock stubbies, and made them look good, made it look easy. it's not. it is a pain in the fu**ing a$$ to plastic weld.

i have totally fu**ed up my bumper because i'm an idiot and thought i would try to plastic weld.

if you just want to cut the ends off and be done with it, that is one thing, but making it look good is another.
i also tried putting on a winch mounting plate and cutting the bumper to fit that. obviously i'm a complete idiot. i got it done, it just looks like complete a$$ as well.

oh well, just a warning. maybe ya'all and lots of other people will do theirs with no problems, but not me.

now that i've vented, i guess i'll go ahead and order a shrockworks mid-width to replace my fugly stock bumper now.

Last edited by mcnaught6; 09-01-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah ditto on the pastic welds. I know how to weld and solder and trying to do plastic for the first time was a pain. I mad sure I had a plan B though. Formed some steel end caps on then cleaned the contours.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interestinglly enough, the stock front bumper looks like a reject from the Tupperware factory and hacking the ends off makes it look even worse. Not even worth the time and effort as well. You would be better off with the Expedition One basic bumper at $189 or even just a rectanglular piece of 1/4 inch plate with 8 holes drilled in it and the stock tow hooks.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I personally like the look, and he may be trying to retain his factory fogs.
The Expedition One basic bumper at $189 does not have that provision.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Why pay $200 for a bumper you're not going to keep. The stock stubby is a great look, gains you some clearance, and buys some time until one of your other front bumpers you have on order comes in. See my sig for deatils.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
I don't even see why you would want to waste your time and money buying a sawzall when you can buy the basic stubby from Expedition One for $189 and then probably sell your stock bumper on ebay or craigslist.
I see here you are trying to pose an alternate solution. Thanks, but....

1. Don't want the Exp One bumper, I want the PJ stubby. It's on back order.

2. I can't sell the stock bumper, b/c I smashed the right side on a rock. (for the second time)

3. A sawzall has a ton of uses other than joining the SSBC. (not that the SSBC isn't sufficient)

Last edited by shredX; 09-01-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
Interestinglly enough, the stock front bumper looks like a reject from the Tupperware factory and hacking the ends off makes it look even worse. Not even worth the time and effort as well. You would be better off with the Expedition One basic bumper at $189 or even just a rectanglular piece of 1/4 inch plate with 8 holes drilled in it and the stock tow hooks.
When you "add" to this thread, are you really interested in our point of view? Just curious, cause it seems like you're actually trying to debate or persuade.

Waste of time? This took me all of about 15 minutes: Plug in saw, place on bumper and pull trigger. It would have been quicker, but I broke the blade and had to borrow one from my neighbor.
I'm not worried about plastic welding or what ever. I did not even sand the edges.

Oh, and yes I wanted to keep my factory fogs.

Last edited by shredX; 09-01-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shredX

Oh, and yes I wanted to keep my factory fogs.

YES! That crystal ball is finally paying off
Good deal, post up some pics!! I like the look of the stock stubby.

Quick Reply: Quick Stock Stubby Bumper Question