JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Raceline Monster leaking wiith Nitto Trail Grappler (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/raceline-monster-leaking-wiith-nitto-trail-grappler-329806/)

FlexyJK 01-17-2016 07:21 PM

Raceline Monster leaking wiith Nitto Trail Grappler

Got some Nitto's over the weekend and swapped them on my Raceline Monsters with steel rings. Got them all together with no issues, but the ring is leaking on almost all of them. I have taken them apart multiple times to make sure everything was right and centered. I also made sure I did the correct torque sequence. I was running BFG KM2's and never had an issue. It does look like the bead was thicker on the BFG's and now the ring cant clamp down enough. Anyone ever have this issue?

mhockey9090 01-17-2016 08:06 PM

Were you running beadlock ring spacers between the rim and ring on the BFGs? If not, then are the rings now bowed/bent in, thus not allowing it to fully seat against a smaller bead tire?

FlexyJK 01-17-2016 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by mhockey9090 (Post 4179007)
Were you running beadlock ring spacers between the rim and ring on the BFGs? If not, then are the rings now bowed/bent in, thus not allowing it to fully seat against a smaller bead tire?

Nope no spacers. I was thinking that was the issue just needed to hear it. Does raceline reccomend the spacers with BFGs?

mhockey9090 01-18-2016 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by FlexyJK (Post 4179014)
Nope no spacers. I was thinking that was the issue just needed to hear it. Does raceline reccomend the spacers with BFGs?

Not sure as I'm running the methods. But method suggested me to get them if I was running BFGs and some other brand of tires. I asked about trail grapplers and they said they weren't sure, so I just went ahead and ordered them. So far no leaking another a week with my spacers installed on mine.

SOAZ JK 01-18-2016 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by FlexyJK (Post 4179014)

Not sure about BFG's but I have to run spacers with my Racelines/Falkens. You should give Raceline a call, they'll clear it up.:beer:

FlexyJK 01-18-2016 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by SOAZ JK (Post 4179128)
Not sure about BFG's but I have to run spacers with my Racelines/Falkens. You should give Raceline a call, they'll clear it up.:beer:

Just got off the phone with Greg at Raceline. Very knowledgeable. He had said DOT does not require the same bead thickness for each tire so there are many differences. He gave me a few options to fix what I have, but ended up getting the Aluminum rings to fix the issue and not have it again. Awesome service and info.

Thanks for the replys.

The BFG KM2s have a 100 thousands thicker bead and with the steel rings they can bow in. If I were to keep running the BFGs I wouldnt have the leaking issue, but since i changed to a thinner bead the rings bottom out on the rim before compressing the bead.

HDGasser 01-18-2016 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by FlexyJK (Post 4179201)
Just got off the phone with Greg at Raceline. Very knowledgeable. He had said DOT does not require the same bead thickness for each tire so there are many differences. He gave me a few options to fix what I have, but ended up getting the Aluminum rings to fix the issue and not have it again. Awesome service and info.

Thanks for the replys.

The BFG KM2s have a 100 thousands thicker bead and with the steel rings they can bow in. If I were to keep running the BFGs I wouldnt have the leaking issue, but since i changed to a thinner bead the rings bottom out on the rim before compressing the bead.

How thick are the rings on the Racelines? any differences from aluminum to steel thickness wise?

FlexyJK 01-18-2016 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by HDGasser (Post 4179202)
How thick are the rings on the Racelines? any differences from aluminum to steel thickness wise?

I dont know the specific size but yes they are thicker. He had said I wouldnt have the issue with different bead thickness on the aluminum rings. So if my next set of tires has a different bead the aluminum will work either way.

mhockey9090 01-18-2016 01:56 PM

Sucks you have to get new rings, but glad you figured it out.

Thats why I bought the spacers, so I don't run into this issues.