Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Raceline Monster leaking wiith Nitto Trail Grappler

Old 01-17-2016, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raceline Monster leaking wiith Nitto Trail Grappler

Got some Nitto's over the weekend and swapped them on my Raceline Monsters with steel rings. Got them all together with no issues, but the ring is leaking on almost all of them. I have taken them apart multiple times to make sure everything was right and centered. I also made sure I did the correct torque sequence. I was running BFG KM2's and never had an issue. It does look like the bead was thicker on the BFG's and now the ring cant clamp down enough. Anyone ever have this issue?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were you running beadlock ring spacers between the rim and ring on the BFGs? If not, then are the rings now bowed/bent in, thus not allowing it to fully seat against a smaller bead tire?

Last edited by mhockey9090; 01-17-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Were you running beadlock ring spacers between the rim and ring on the BFGs? If not, then are the rings now bowed/bent in, thus not allowing it to fully seat against a smaller bead tire?
Nope no spacers. I was thinking that was the issue just needed to hear it. Does raceline reccomend the spacers with BFGs?
Old 01-18-2016, 06:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FlexyJK
Nope no spacers. I was thinking that was the issue just needed to hear it. Does raceline reccomend the spacers with BFGs?
Not sure as I'm running the methods. But method suggested me to get them if I was running BFGs and some other brand of tires. I asked about trail grapplers and they said they weren't sure, so I just went ahead and ordered them. So far no leaking another a week with my spacers installed on mine.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about BFG's but I have to run spacers with my Racelines/Falkens. You should give Raceline a call, they'll clear it up.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SOAZ JK
Not sure about BFG's but I have to run spacers with my Racelines/Falkens. You should give Raceline a call, they'll clear it up.
Just got off the phone with Greg at Raceline. Very knowledgeable. He had said DOT does not require the same bead thickness for each tire so there are many differences. He gave me a few options to fix what I have, but ended up getting the Aluminum rings to fix the issue and not have it again. Awesome service and info.

Thanks for the replys.

The BFG KM2s have a 100 thousands thicker bead and with the steel rings they can bow in. If I were to keep running the BFGs I wouldnt have the leaking issue, but since i changed to a thinner bead the rings bottom out on the rim before compressing the bead.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Just got off the phone with Greg at Raceline. Very knowledgeable. He had said DOT does not require the same bead thickness for each tire so there are many differences. He gave me a few options to fix what I have, but ended up getting the Aluminum rings to fix the issue and not have it again. Awesome service and info.

Thanks for the replys.

The BFG KM2s have a 100 thousands thicker bead and with the steel rings they can bow in. If I were to keep running the BFGs I wouldnt have the leaking issue, but since i changed to a thinner bead the rings bottom out on the rim before compressing the bead.
How thick are the rings on the Racelines? any differences from aluminum to steel thickness wise?
Old 01-18-2016, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HDGasser
How thick are the rings on the Racelines? any differences from aluminum to steel thickness wise?
I dont know the specific size but yes they are thicker. He had said I wouldnt have the issue with different bead thickness on the aluminum rings. So if my next set of tires has a different bead the aluminum will work either way.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Sucks you have to get new rings, but glad you figured it out.

Thats why I bought the spacers, so I don't run into this issues.

Quick Reply: Raceline Monster leaking wiith Nitto Trail Grappler