Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

It rained in my jeep. Time to bedline what's the best kind?

Old 08-19-2012, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKMARINE

I have had my JK since they first came out in '07. Ordered it from the factory because So Cal only had 2WD JKs at the time. I have been on a lot of crazy trails and stuff gets under the carpet when you wheel with the top and doors off. I had some bare metal spots under the carpet from crap rubbing. That was my reason for it. It also looks better lined as well. I used Raptor Liner on mine. Raptor Liner can be paint matched if needed. I would suggest 2 kits for a good thickness though. It has been one of my favorite products yet. I have used Herculiner on a Ranger bed in '03. It came out alright but, Raptor Liner is better in my opinion. The Herculiner cracked in some spots and the roller was a pain. Spraying the Raptor Liner gave me better coverage and coated evenly. I have used it in the tub, along the rocker panels, in the fender wells, on the grill, tailgate, and rear quarter panels. I've almost covered my whole Jeep with it.
How about some pics! I really want to do my rockers and the tailgate and corners as well. Thanks man.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tachyon
I was thinking about doing bed liner, but ended up pulling the factory carpet out, and just putting down my Mopar "tire tread" floor mats in the passenger area (front and rear), and I ended up keeping the factory cargo area mat in the cargo area.

The mats fit well, and cover up the weird filler they put on the floor at the factory.

It looks good, is color matched (LOL), and was FREE...not to mention 100% reversible when I want to trade in.

So, maybe I'm missing something, but why is there such a big push for bedliner? I must be missing something...?

Of course, I'm all for everyone doing what they like with their JK, but am I alone in running this way?
I did the exact same thing. The way I look at it is that if it buys an additional 3-4 years not needing to shell out $600-$1000 or a full day or more of DIY, it's worth it.

I fully expect stuff to get underneath the rubber mats and grind into the tubs paint, but as long as it's checked out every so often any rust that shows up can be taken care of. If it gets real bad, then its time for the bedliner.

On a related note (not to threadjack) but since this applies to us, I found the rubber mats were sliding around up front, I jbwelded a stubby bolt upside down to be able to bolt the mat in since it no longer had the anchors built into the carpet.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

So, what are people doing about the heat up front? Is there some kind of heat shield you can put below the spray in liner?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

+1 for floor mats....I have a full set of weathertech and a cargo liner and that pretty much stops everything

rustoleum spray on stuff is great though, avoid duplicolor, the herculiner stuff is pretty textured and i would not want to scrape myself with it
Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmike17
So, what are people doing about the heat up front? Is there some kind of heat shield you can put below the spray in liner?
There is some stuff called "Lizard Skin - Ceramic Insulation" (also they have a sound suppressent) that you can spray first to reduce heat. I haven't used it, but I was looking for what my options where before raptor lining mine. I have floor liners that sit on top of some tool box liner. That's to prevent them from wandering all over the place without the carpet hook. With those in there I have never had any problems with my feet getting hot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUN61EzFaRA What the tool liner looks like
Click image for larger version

Name:	21aqEkxyW3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	19418
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	355986

Last edited by Rooster76; 08-19-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rooster76
There is some stuff called "Lizard Skin - Ceramic Insulation" (also they have a sound suppressent) that you can spray first to reduce heat. I haven't used it, but I was looking for what my options where before raptor lining mine. I have floor liners that sit on top of some tool box liner. That's to prevent them from wandering all over the place without the carpet hook. With those in there I have never had any problems with my feet getting hot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUN61EzFaRA What the tool liner looks like
Attachment 355986
Thank you!!
Old 08-19-2012, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mstrofpuppets
How about some pics! I really want to do my rockers and the tailgate and corners as well. Thanks man.
Here you go. As you can tell, I love this stuff. I applied the rocker armor over the Raptor Liner. I don't have any pics of the inside because I'm in Japan right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JEEP (8).jpg
Views:	282
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	356135Click image for larger version

Name:	JEEP (6).jpg
Views:	281
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	356136Click image for larger version

Name:	JEEP (5).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	356137Click image for larger version

Name:	JEEP (4).jpg
Views:	354
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	356138Click image for larger version

Name:	JEEP (2).jpg
Views:	211
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	356140
Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

I used Raptor Liner last fall on mine and that stuff rocks. I bought the whole spray kit and also used it on my home made rock rails. It was $120 for the kitchen which included spray gun for your air compressor. The bottles screw right into the spray gun. This stuff is super tough and don't worry about heat through the floor boards. I live in Phoenix, AZ and we have had multiple 115 degree days this summer and I have not noticed any difference in heat thru the floors than I did with the carpeting.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

The only thing with Raptor is it takes a good 5 to 7 days for it to fully cure. But once it does its great. The texture is nice and smooth, not scratchy like the Rustoleum spray can stuff. No matter which brand you use you can use rattle can bed liner for touch ups down the road.

Quick Reply: It rained in my jeep. Time to bedline what's the best kind?