Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re gear?

Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re gear?

I've had my lift and 315/70 duratrac a on for a few weeks now and I'm a little concerned about it shifting out of fifth. I have a 13 auto with 3.73 gears. I've noticed under mild acceleration when shifting gears it wants to hold on all the way up to 5000 rpm before shifting. And now on a very mild grade at highway speeds it always downshifts where it never did this stock. Am I being paranoid or is this normal? This is my first jeep and lifted vehicle. Thank you in advance!!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you use a Procal to set the tire size?

I can't remember if setting the tire size also updates the shift program and shift points, but that doesn't seem relevant here. It will just feel a little sluggish, and not hold gears out to 5,000 for no apparent reason.

You might have a little bit of hunting between 5-6 on light grades. A 315 is a much bigger tire to push over a 255 and tire size affects your overall gearing. Bigger tires make your gear ratio numerically smaller (i.e. 315's will make your 3.73 gears "feel" like they are actually a 3.21).
Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya used pro cal. Tires only measured about 33.5 inches and it accepted it fine. Speedo is dead nuts on according f to GPS too.

Quick Reply: Re gear?