Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear bearing question

Old 09-13-2013, 08:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear bearing question

Hey guys, I just replaced my front hub assembly after my driver side and passenger sides bearing went bad. So i though i would check my rear. Well I jacked up the rear of my jeep. Pressed against the top of my tires and I got a little bit of play, it felt like the lug nuts were not tight but they where. I have zero side to side movement. Also both rear tires did this. It want that much movement but still wondering if the bears are bad. Or does anyone have Any thoughs?
Old 09-14-2013, 05:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Only real way to tell is to pull the shafts and look at them. Its not something you see failing on the JK. There is a thick rubber seal on the rear axle and that may be where you are getting your play from.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by zero_traction69
Hey guys, I just replaced my front hub assembly after my driver side and passenger sides bearing went bad. So i though i would check my rear. Well I jacked up the rear of my jeep. Pressed against the top of my tires and I got a little bit of play, it felt like the lug nuts were not tight but they where. I have zero side to side movement. Also both rear tires did this. It want that much movement but still wondering if the bears are bad. Or does anyone have Any thoughs?
I had a similar thing happen with my JK last year. Do you have a factory L/S diff? Open your rear diff cover and check your diff. On mine my L/S clutches had worn out which allowed my spider gears to spread. They started to delaminate. This allowed a small amount of wobble at the rear wheel. Had to put in a new diff. If you pull your rear drain plug you may find shavings of metal from spider gears.
Good luck.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Thanks i will check and I have a locker do you think that will make a difference just changed my fluid and it was fine no shavings at all
Old 09-14-2013, 09:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

I went out and checked mine to compare it to what you describe.
Both my rear wheels have a little play in and out. It's the nature of the way the axles/bearings are retained. My old XJ, which had the same retention system, did the same thing.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by zero_traction69
Thanks i will check and I have a locker do you think that will make a difference just changed my fluid and it was fine no shavings at all

If you have no shavings then you are probably fine. As stated above a little movement is "normal". In my case we thought because I was running 37s that it was normal...till about 6months later when I was changing my diff fluid, saw the shavings, opened the rear and found the damage. That was when we then understood exactly what was happening. Funny thing, there was absolutely no outside indications, no noise, no fluid leaks, nothing.
So I replaced the rear with a grizzly locker, put new bearings and seals in just because we were right there and called it a day, no issues since, and no movement at the tire.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I went out and checked mine to compare it to what you describe.
Both my rear wheels have a little play in and out. It's the nature of the way the axles/bearings are retained. My old XJ, which had the same retention system, did the same thing.
I don't think he is referring to in and out play as if you pull and push on the tire but rather a top to bottom wobble. In my case because my spider gears had spread apart, this allowed up and down movement of the inboard end of the axle shaft. After replacing my factory l/s diff have absolutely no movement.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

I was referring to the pull in and out of the tire. I compared it with one of my friends stock rubi and it does the same thing. Just never noticed it before and I check my fluid its still good no shavings!!! Thanks guys. I will keep an eye on my diff in case it decides it doesn't want to be a diff anymore! Thanks for the help
Old 09-15-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lol

Sent from my Obama phone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Rear bearing question