Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Rubicon Locker broke

Old 01-15-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Rubicon Locker broke

I hope that someone here can help me out. I have a '92 XJ with Rubicon Dana 44s and 5.13 Superior Gears under it and am having problems with the rear locker. It has worked perfect for about 3 months, but will not lock anymore. I have a much simpler system than a JK, just a positive and negative connection from a relay. I am definately getting power to the locker and through the connector, but it is still not locking. I can watch the magnet engage part of the way, but it will not fully engage. I have cleaned it out, changed the fluid, and still no luck. My guess is that it is the electric magnet that locks the gear in. Does anyone know if this part is replaceable or do I have to swap the whole carrier. Does anyone have an exploded view of the elocker or what brand it is? Is it a Mopar locker, Eaton, Dana? Nobody seems to know much about these, and everything I read seems like the dealers are just changing the whole diff or locker under warantee. Well I hope you guys can help me out. With that being said is there a different locker I can put in the Rubicon Dana 44 or am I stuck with the factory locker. I am being told that the carrier in the rubicon Dana 44 is different from the JK Sahara X and every other Dana 44 out there, and there is not am aftermarket locker for the Rubicon.

Last edited by squirrel80; 01-15-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi Master

ARB's making lockers for the Jk44.

You can replace the magnet for the locker, Sorry I dont have a part number.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Piginajeep

You can replace the magnet for the locker, Sorry I dont have a part number.

Has anyone successfully replaced the magnet only. My dealer could not get a part number for this. Only the whole locker was available.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by squirrel80
Has anyone successfully replaced the magnet only. My dealer could not get a part number for this. Only the whole locker was available.
wierd, Its a seperate piece.

I broke mine getting regeared. We had a spare laying around so we used it.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

wierd, Its a seperate piece.

I broke mine getting regeared. We had a spare laying around so we used it.

How did you have a spare magnet? More info please. I thought I had a lot of spare axle parts, but that only includes ball joints, unit bearings, and axles. Where do you get a spare magnet for a relatively new locker assembly?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

we had a spare mopar axle laying around. I was told you can buy them seperate. Sorry, I'm not much help.

did you try calling another dealer?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

we had a spare mopar axle laying around. I was told you can buy them seperate. Sorry, I'm not much help.

did you try calling another dealer?
So just to clarify. You actually pulled the magnet from one locker and pressed it back on to your locker? Or something to that effect. Why would you not have just used the whole carrier if you had one there. I'm just asking because I am going to try and hunt down just the magnet from a dealer or something if you say that your where able to swap that part. Also what are you doing with the other axle now? It does not work without that part. You should find a magnet for it and tell me how to get one.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi Master

I believe thats what we did, now you have me questioning my memory. It was the black disc part with the wiring plug.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

I believe thats what we did, now you have me questioning my memory. It was the black disc part with the wiring plug.
Should be the thick round metal ring with the black square and wires coming out of it. This is a picture I have of my front from a while ago, but the locker looks the same.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Jedi Master

yep thats it.

Quick Reply: Rear Rubicon Locker broke