Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Stock Bumper Removal

Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Stock Bumper Removal

I just recieved the mopar hitch reciever with the wiring harness. In the instructions they say to remove the rear bumper in order to install the hitch reciever.

Has anone done this before? any write up etc ?

and how difficult it is? Did search but didnt find anything
Old 02-15-2008, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the HiddenHitch hitch, and it is almost identical to the Mopar hitch. All I did was lay under the jeep, slide the hitch over the back frame rail, and inserted the bolts. There is one issue, though, If I remember correctly, one of the bolts is smaller that the other three, and harder to insert because there isn't much room.

For the wiring harness, unscrew the left taillight housing, and plug in the new harness, then plug the taillight back in and remount it. There is a piece of foam at the bottom of rear 1/4 panel, behind the taillight, that you run the new harness through. Then just route it down, and over to the hitch.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zak
I just recieved the mopar hitch reciever with the wiring harness. In the instructions they say to remove the rear bumper in order to install the hitch reciever.

Has anone done this before? any write up etc ?

and how difficult it is? Did search but didnt find anything
It's very easy actually - only a couple bolts and it pulls right off. I think you'll find instructions in any of the bumper write-ups. Lemme find one...

Edit: Couldn't find one, but if you have an existing tow hook you just remove its 3 bolts, then you remove the 2 bolts on each side of the rear bumper. There are 2 little plates that mount to the frame and those are what hold the bumper to the back. It's real simple.

If you get lost feel free to PM me with any questions.

Last edited by JackMac4; 02-15-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

picture worth 1000 words...

Old 02-15-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to remove the bumper to put the hitch reciever on.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks the pictures helped a lot. What is 2 & 4 on the picture.
I do have the instructions came with the mopar reciever but the black & white pictures are hard to underdtand.

The instructions says

1. Remove the two M10 Bolts behind mud guard on both sides (I guess that is 3 in the picture)

2. Remove the two M10 bolts behind bumper over impact beam. (I guess that is 1 in the picture)

Quick Reply: Rear Stock Bumper Removal