Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Sway Bar Link Rubbing

Old 04-22-2017, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I had that exact problem also. Bought adjustable sway bar links for the rear and they rubbed one of my tires almost all the way through. Didn't occur on the street just when flexing off-road. Northridge noticed it and cut the links to the right size for me. I thought they were supposed to angle flat to 15 degrees up, but they recommended them to be 15 down to flat. I did find that my axle was shifted ever so slightly inboard on the side of the rubbed tire.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Francis1989
Yeah I had that exact problem also. Bought adjustable sway bar links for the rear and they rubbed one of my tires almost all the way through. Didn't occur on the street just when flexing off-road. Northridge noticed it and cut the links to the right size for me. I thought they were supposed to angle flat to 15 degrees up, but they recommended them to be 15 down to flat. I did find that my axle was shifted ever so slightly inboard on the side of the rubbed tire.
I adjusted the track bar to the passenger side about 1/2-3/4 of an inch and took some measurements, everything appears to be much better now. We jacked up the passenger side wheel as high as the jack would go and the sway bar link was not close to rubbing the tire or the mount for the sway bar. It looks like that may have taken care of that problem. I have read the sway bar links should be everything from 15 degrees up or down. I do go offroading and have drooped and compressed the suspension as much as possible without tearing off my fenders and the sway bar links appeared to be fine with the exception of rubbing on the inside of the rear passenger tire. I will keep a close eye on it and see of the issue is resolved. On a side note, I didn't need to jack the Jeep up to get the track bar off or on, we just let it sit on the ground and rocked the body to get the bolt holes to line up, much easier than we anticipated which gave us time to drink more beer.

Quick Reply: Rear Sway Bar Link Rubbing