Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear track bar bracket advice

Old 10-10-2007, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im new and stumped.... need advice

So I get a new 08 2d X two weeks ago, in my initial bliss I ordered the 4 inch rough country lift. after reading the posts on this site, I decided It was too much lift and hassle ( Drive shafts, etc) so I go and have a teraflex 2.5 BB installed at a local shop. they tell me I dont need the bump stops or shock extensions. so they slap in the pucks and thats it. So I am in need of some advice.

do I need the bump stops and shock extensions?

Should I have it aligned? the counter guy said no the installer said yes, I called teraflex and they said yes it needs a little more toe in than normal.

Should I keep the 4" kit and use the track bar, shocks and rear track bar bracket and sell the coils and the rest for 100.00 or sell the whole kit and get the teraflex stuff.

would the rear track bar bracket be too much if it is designed for a 4" lift?

or last but not least should I install the 4" kit and buy a rear shaft ( I will not run more than 33's and I only go on the dunes a few times a year to cruise around. )

I know its lots of questions, but I need the help. I did the searches and bought the Air raid, did the magnaflow round muffler mod and orderd the jet chip based on reading the posts on the site. cant wait to get it done and post up the pics too.

thanks for all the great info and discussion, I have learned a ton in the last two weeks.

Last edited by mccostlin; 10-10-2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: change titel
Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mccostlin
So I get a new 08 2d X two weeks ago, in my initial bliss I ordered the 4 inch rough country lift. after reading the posts on this site, I decided It was too much lift and hassle ( Drive shafts, etc) so I go and have a teraflex 2.5 BB installed at a local shop. they tell me I dont need the bump stops or shock extensions. so they slap in the pucks and thats it. So I am in need of some advice.

do I need the bump stops and shock extensions?
I'm sorry but the shop that did the install are idiots and I wouldn't let them touch your Jeep anymore. Yes, both your shock extension and bump stops are NECESSARY as with out them, your shocks will have limited travel and you will run the risk of over compressing your coils. Why they would tell you that they are not needed is beyond me.

Should I have it aligned? the counter guy said no the installer said yes, I called teraflex and they said yes it needs a little more toe in than normal.
You do not need to have an alignment done. Due to the new steering design of the JK, your toe-in will not have changed and you should be just fine as it is. With out adjustable control arms, you will not be able to adjust your caster and I would NOT use cam bolts to try and adjust this. Camber is not something you can adjust on a solid axle and so the only thing left for you to do is recenter your steering wheel and that takes all but 5 minutes to do and a 15mm wrench.

Should I keep the 4" kit and use the track bar, shocks and rear track bar bracket and sell the coils and the rest for 100.00 or sell the whole kit and get the teraflex stuff.

would the rear track bar bracket be too much if it is designed for a 4" lift?
If the track bar is adjustable, you can use it but it most likely is not necessary to use. Regarding the rear relocation bracket, if it attaches to the axle, do not install it. As far as the shocks go, they will be way too tall for your applicatoin.

or last but not least should I install the 4" kit and buy a rear shaft ( I will not run more than 33's and I only go on the dunes a few times a year to cruise around. )
If you're asking me, I would try to sell the kit.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will order up the bump stops and some skyjacker shocks tomorrow instead of the extensions. So i dont need an adjustable track bar to compensate for the lift on 2.5 BB?

I thought it was odd that it only took them 40min to install the lift...... no biggie they installe the pucks for 260 including parts and labor so I guess it wasnt that bad, I guess it depends on how much the bump stops will cost me.

thanks for the advice, this is a great site. my motocross forums probably think I am dead or in jail I havent been on them since I found this one.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The adjustable track bars will help recenter the axle under the Jeep. Right now your rear tires stick out more on the passenger side than the drivers side. The front will be the opposite. With only a 2.5" lift they might not be out enough to bother with. A lot of budget lifts don't make any accomodation for this. See how your ride is and then decide if you want to add the adjustable track bars. Sell your kit complete and order the bars separate.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

Just a bit of advice... spend the money to do it it right the first time around or you will be nickel and diming yourself to death as the little things start to show their weakness. When you say "hitting the dunes a few times a year" it sounds like you will be stressing your jeep more than in the city. when I first bought a lift I bought the FT economy lift to save money. Six months later I now have the equivalent to the Ultimate lift by adding adj. trac bars first, then it was the lower arms, then uppers. Just take my advice and build it right the first time. Maybe im wrong but Id rather spend my days off in the woods than on my back in the driveway.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mccostlin
I will order up the bump stops and some skyjacker shocks tomorrow instead of the extensions. So i dont need an adjustable track bar to compensate for the lift on 2.5 BB?

I thought it was odd that it only took them 40min to install the lift...... no biggie they installe the pucks for 260 including parts and labor so I guess it wasnt that bad, I guess it depends on how much the bump stops will cost me.
Wait a minute... if you have the TeraFlex 2.5" BB, your kit should have come with bump stop extensions and the shock adapters!! Trust me, this kit is not sold without the bump stops and if you didn't get the shock adapters, your kit would have come with new shocks. Man, this shop is sounding shadier by the minute.

As far as shocks go, may I recommend that you don't buy the Skyjacker shocks? Honestly, I really don't think you will like the ride that they provide and I just saw Old Man Emu had shocks available at the Off Road Expo and would highly recommend them instead.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Wait a minute... if you have the TeraFlex 2.5" BB, your kit should have come with bump stop extensions and the shock adapters!! Trust me, this kit is not sold without the bump stops and if you didn't get the shock adapters, your kit would have come with new shocks. Man, this shop is sounding shadier by the minute.
As I was reading this thread, I was thinking the same thing!!!!!!
The kit also comes with brake line drop brackets (at least mine did).

You can check to see if you have true TeraFlex pucks in there by looking at the the pucks themselves. They should say "TeraFlex" in raised lettering on the sides of the pucks.
If they do say TeraFlex, they only sold you the pucks, NOT the TeraFlex BB kit.

I would also check your receipt and see what they charged you for(kit or spacers). Here are 3 TeraFlex BB configurations with prices
http://www.quadratec.com/sb/TeraFlex/JK_Lift_Kits.htm
Note they all come with bump stop extentions

Good luck

Last edited by VBS4; 10-11-2007 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

they do say teraflex right on them. I will get the parts ordered to correct it today. I am having the magnaflow put on in a few hours as well hope it works out nice. thanks for all the advice.

Quick Reply: Rear track bar bracket advice