Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear trackbar bracket weak point

Old 03-26-2007, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bim6180
Thanks Huskynox...let me know how it is....
I installed both Teraflex Trackbars on Friday night. Very Simple Installs. Left the Jeep on the ground for both. It took about .5 hour to do each of them with the measuring involved.

I can tell you that both trackbars can be adjusted to the stock or "zero" length.

husky~
Old 03-26-2007, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys need to know that just because you have a drop bracket or a new track bar, that will not solve the problem totally. The axle bracket is weak because of the force created when the track bar pulls when flexing the vehicle. Your bracket can break off even with a adjusable trackbar or a drop bracket. I have seen numerous of these on TJ's.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
You guys need to know that just because you have a drop bracket or a new track bar, that will not solve the problem totally. The axle bracket is weak because of the force created when the track bar pulls when flexing the vehicle. Your bracket can break off even with a adjusable trackbar or a drop bracket. I have seen numerous of these on TJ's.
This is true, but with a riser bracket (on the axle) the force becomes rotational force instead of lateral force. The stock bracket was not designed to withstand rotational force. Although it could still break, the chances are less.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

I'm not sure how it puts rotational force on the bracket when it is a fixed bracket and it raises the track bar maybe 1". The track bar and axle still move in one direction. I'm just trying to clarify that a drop bracket is not going to make the track bar bracket any stronger and you still have just as much chance of breaking it as you would without any bracket. As I have stated in previous posts, a bracket from the pumpkin to the track bar bracket will stop the forces and support it so that it does not tear off.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure how it puts rotational force on the bracket when it is a fixed bracket and it raises the track bar maybe 1". The track bar and axle still move in one direction. I'm just trying to clarify that a drop bracket is not going to make the track bar bracket any stronger and you still have just as much chance of breaking it as you would without any bracket. As I have stated in previous posts, a bracket from the pumpkin to the track bar bracket will stop the forces and support it so that it does not tear off.
Ok, you lost me there. Could you explain what do you mean by Pumpkin?? i'm pretty new to jeep suspension stuff, and hopefully i can learn more from this. IF you don't mind explaining that, it would be great
Old 03-26-2007, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

The riser bracket acts as a lever and the rotational force is applied at the fulcrum point (stock bracket). I remember very little about how to calculate the force from my brief stint as an engineering student, but I do remember some of the basic principles. The drop bracket attached to the frame does not increase the strength of the stock bracket, it just doesn't increase the forces acting against it. Having a riser attached to the stock bracket does change the forces which are affecting the stock bracket.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bim6180
Ok, you lost me there. Could you explain what do you mean by Pumpkin?? i'm pretty new to jeep suspension stuff, and hopefully i can learn more from this. IF you don't mind explaining that, it would be great
The "pumpkin" is slang for the differential housing.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Renegade
The riser bracket acts as a lever and the rotational force is applied at the fulcrum point (stock bracket). I remember very little about how to calculate the force from my brief stint as an engineering student, but I do remember some of the basic principles. The drop bracket attached to the frame does not increase the strength of the stock bracket, it just doesn't increase the forces acting against it. Having a riser attached to the stock bracket does change the forces which are affecting the stock bracket.
I do understand a fulcrum effect and I would definately agree for a 4" lift but with a 2.5, the increase would be so little that I don't believe it would have an adverse effect.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:31 PM
JK Junkie

I do understand a fulcrum effect and I would definately agree for a 4" lift but with a 2.5, the increase would be so little that I don't believe it would have an adverse effect.
There have been 3 reports on this board of stock JK brackets breaking off when riser brackets have been added. I know of none when the suspension is left stock or when a frame mounted drop bracket is used. We should probably agree to disagree on this one...
Old 03-26-2007, 07:45 PM
JK Freak

I'm not disagreeing with anything, i just believe it is inevitable that the stock brackets will also fail if wheeled hard enough. JK's are so new that we will find out lots more once people start wheeling them. I have noticed that most JK owners are first time Jeep owners and really don't wheel them. I intend to strengthen my stock bracket with gussets or something else. My TJ had triangulated rear suspension so there wasn't a track bar which is by far the best way to go. JK's have a lot of crap in the way so triangulting is going to be difficult.

Quick Reply: Rear trackbar bracket weak point