Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Recalebrating the computer

Old 03-17-2011, 03:15 PM
JKU
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recalebrating the computer

So I'm at the jeep dealer and I was asking about recalibrating my computer to recognize my 33s (295/70/17) and they are charging me 120.00. My question is: Is this important to do or will it just be a waste of money? What exactly does it do when they recalebrate?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It tells the computer that you have a new tire height. Right now, your speed, distance and gas mileage will all be incorrect. If you have an Auto, your shift points will also be off. If you changed from a stock 32" to a 33", the difference will be minimal. If you went from a 29" to a 33", you should consider the calibration.

Just be aware that you would probably be better off with an aftermarket programmer or tuner, than paying that kind of money for the dealer to do it.

The AEV ProCal is programmer that has a lot of great functions in addition to recalibraing. I think they are running around $150.
The Superchips and Hypertech and Diablo are tuners. They are more expensive, but will also let you change the tunes for different fuels and conditions.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:46 PM
JKU
JK Newbie

Is the AEV procal easy to use? Can anyone with a little sense do it?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Quick and easy. It is just a row of 2-position dipswitches. There is a big card telling you which positions to use for whatever option you want to change.

ex - first 3 up, next 3 down, next 2 up. Plug it into the port by your left knee, the horn will honk to let you know the computer was updated, turn the key off and remove the programmer.

The tuners will use computer updates, so you actually have to plug them in to your PC and download options and updates. Then you plug in to the port by your left knee and follow the screen prompts. More involved, but not hard.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Yup, it is easy to use. Good instructions and you can reset several functions in 15 minutes or less.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKU
So I'm at the jeep dealer and I was asking about recalibrating my computer to recognize my 33s (295/70/17) and they are charging me 120.00. My question is: Is this important to do or will it just be a waste of money? What exactly does it do when they recalebrate?
unless things have changed at the dealerships, you may want to verify they can reprogram or flash for 33's. It use to be dealer could only flash up to 32's. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how it use to be.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by captjay

unless things have changed at the dealerships, you may want to verify they can reprogram or flash for 33's. It use to be dealer could only flash up to 32's. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how it use to be.
I heard 32" was the largest they can do too, because that's the largest stock tire size.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:03 PM
JK Newbie

That's true my dealers computer would only go up to 32.

Quick Reply: Recalebrating the computer