Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recomendations on best TIRES at 285/70/r17's please

Old 11-03-2006, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recomendations on best TIRES at 285/70/r17's please

My stock commander Hulk rims are on the way and now need to order some meat...

here is the size I have decided on 285/70/r17's with no plans of any lift, all my reaearch says I should be OK, unless at max flex, not doing any serious off road I should be in good shape.

I want a nice all season, light truck tire that performs well on the highway also... the catch is I would like a decent looking tread and ideal a sidewall tread or something that looks like that for a more aggressive look..... like the micky baja's! yes posing as an off roader here I know. I am thinking the Bridgestone REVOs unless someone has some other choices...
Thanks
Old 11-03-2006, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

I just got done mounting 285x70x17's BGF's on my Moab (Rubicon) rims, I only rub a hair bit when I turn the wheel ALL the way to the right/left. I have not put a lift on yet (2" BB ordered). As far as flex goes, i haven't hit yet, but then again, I haven't gone off road yet
Old 11-03-2006, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Bridgestone Revo IS the best tire. Bridgestone and Michelin are the only tw companies that actually make a round tire. All others are eliptical, and thus do not run true. Spin any other brand on a very high speed balancer and you will see it go up and down.

I went thru two sets of Bridgestones on a Ford Bronco, and am on my second set on a Dodge turbo diesel. They work well in all weather, and wear like iron--over 50,000 mile on a diesel.

The day my JK is delivered, I am driving to the tire store to change out the junk tires and go with 285/70/17 Revos.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jpaddict
The Bridgestone Revo IS the best tire. Bridgestone and Michelin are the only tw companies that actually make a round tire. All others are eliptical, and thus do not run true. Spin any other brand on a very high speed balancer and you will see it go up and down.

I went thru two sets of Bridgestones on a Ford Bronco, and am on my second set on a Dodge turbo diesel. They work well in all weather, and wear like iron--over 50,000 mile on a diesel.

The day my JK is delivered, I am driving to the tire store to change out the junk tires and go with 285/70/17 Revos.
This is so incorrect it's not even funny.

I guess you don't realize that a lot of different companies use the same carcass and just mold their tread and lettering on it. As an example Bridgestone and Firestone are the same company. i.e. same tire with a different tread and lettering.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:15 AM
slik

Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
This is so incorrect it's not even funny.

I guess you don't realize that a lot of different companies use the same carcass and just mold their tread and lettering on it. As an example Bridgestone and Firestone are the same company. i.e. same tire with a different tread and lettering.
So true!

I am using Pirellis on my sports car - astounding performance even at 155 mph, and perfectly balanced throught tire life so far (18,000 mi). Replaced max performance Michelins when they wore out after a few thousand miles.

I intend to replace the pathetic stock Goodyears on the Sahara JK with a set of Pirelli Scorpions before the car leaves the dealership. Check out reviews (and your desired size) of this tire at the Tire Rack. Highly recommended for all weather types, but it is not an off-roader tire.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cpthyland2
I just got done mounting 285x70x17's BGF's on my Moab (Rubicon) rims, I only rub a hair bit when I turn the wheel ALL the way to the right/left. I have not put a lift on yet (2" BB ordered). As far as flex goes, i haven't hit yet, but then again, I haven't gone off road yet
could you post photos of your JK? I too am interested in the BFGs.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2006, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

You need to do some more homework. The Bridgestone S-03 is the number one rated performance tire, not Pirelli. The Goodyear F1 GS D3 is ranked number one for rain tires (German made). I use these on my E55 because of the rain here in Seattle.

The question was on light truck tires, specifically 285/70/17. Bridgestone bought Firestone many years ago. While many manufacturers make tires for private label, i.e. Sears Roadhandler is made by Michelin, they are not simply different in appearance. Content and quality are often made for a price point.

Go to www.tirerack.com, they sell all of them and I don't think they care which one you buy. If you have a local tire store that sells both, have them mount one of each. Balance is NOT the same as concentricity. Your own eyes can be the judge.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

OK I'll throw my two cents in regarding round tires. All tires have a pretty good sized flat spot on them. That's what happens when they support 3500 pounds. :p

Quick Reply: Recomendations on best TIRES at 285/70/r17's please