Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redneck Ram - OD dimension needed!!!

Old 05-28-2017, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Redneck Ram - OD dimension needed!!!

Hi guys
Just installed their hydro-assist and new box last night. Steering is super slow and stiff - I'm thinking I got the wrong ram in my kit. Can someone please measure there's for reference? Mine measures 1.9" (outside diameter). Not sure if this is correct for a 1.5" bore.

Didn't want to mod pump before I confirmed I have the right ram.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-29-2017, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

I believe mine is 1.5"x6" my pump is not modified. The steering is a little slow at low speed, about the same as stock feeling. I don't have a digital caliper so 1.9 " seems close...mine looks to be 1and 7/8"

Last edited by Rebar-7; 05-29-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
I believe mine is 1.5"x6" my pump is not modified. The steering is a little slow at low speed, about the same as stock feeling. I don't have a digital caliper so 1.9 " seems close...mine looks to be 1and 7/8"

Thank you!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2017, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by sea bass
Hi guys
Just installed their hydro-assist and new box last night. Steering is super slow and stiff - I'm thinking I got the wrong ram in my kit. Can someone please measure there's for reference? Mine measures 1.9" (outside diameter). Not sure if this is correct for a 1.5" bore.

Didn't want to mod pump before I confirmed I have the right ram.

Thanks!!!
Mine is 1.9" outside diameter so I think you're good on that.

Perhaps you need to bleed the system more? I know I had to cycle my steering system lock-to-lock like 20 times, then fill, then cycle, then fill. Then I had to take it up and down the road several times and fill. All good now
Old 05-29-2017, 01:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

You need to burp the system fully. See PSC's bleed routine, it's on the first page of their web site.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
You need to burp the system fully. See PSC's bleed routine, it's on the first page of their web site.
Ok I lied, it's now in their tech section. Here it is: http://www.pscmotorsports.com/pdf/tech/bleeding.pdf

One word of caution that will help prevent an ungodly fluid mess. If you rack the steering with the reservoir cap off the fluid will overflow and pour all over the harnesses, etc. I tape the neck of an oil fill funnel to the reservoir opening, which will allow the fluid to rise up into the funnel and then recede wthout blowing all over the place.

Another bleed procedure that a guy showed me. Should the air be stubborn, try cracking open the lines at the reservoir slightly and start the engine. Allow the fluid to leak out into a drain pan and it will eveacuate any air trapped in the ram. Keep an eye on the reservoir and keep it topped up.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-30-2017, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SoK66
One word of caution that will help prevent an ungodly fluid mess. If you rack the steering with the reservoir cap off the fluid will overflow and pour all over the harnesses, etc. I tape the neck of an oil fill funnel to the reservoir opening, which will allow the fluid to rise up into the funnel and then recede wthout blowing all over the place.
This... SO much this. I also taped a funnel to my reservoir.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

I bled the crap out of it - hours one day. Must have went back and forth 75 times. Not more bubbles - but I did have a fat mess from it over flowing a few times as mentioned.

Steering was still slow and stiff. It didn't get better with throttle either which is opposite of what everyone has said. I was stumped and frustrated.

I called matt at WTO and he said it sounded like the bypass valve was stuck open. I pulled piston and spring out of the pump. Cleaned it, hit with some scotch bright and put it back together. Did a quick bleed and now all is good!!! I can turn it quick, it responds like it did before and is better when I blip the throttle. Even put it in 4-lo and locked the front axle. Couldn't even tell! Can't wait to go back to Moab this fall - gonna be a different trip.

Now I just need to figure out the hose routing
Old 05-30-2017, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sea bass
Now I just need to figure out the hose routing
Yeah... I learned this the hard way. Make sure you check the hoses under the following conditions and with the steering wheel locked all the way left then all the way right.

Both front tires compressed into the fender wells.

Both front tires drooped.

Driver compressed, passenger drooped

Passenger compressed, driver drooped.

I thought I had mine good and then damaged one hose.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

How do I compress both at the same time?

Quick Reply: Redneck Ram - OD dimension needed!!!