Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regear and while I'm at it plan...

Old 09-12-2014, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regear and while I'm at it plan...

So I'm planning to regear in the very near future. I have a 2008 JKU Sahara so 30/44 with 3.73's. The plan is 4.88 or 5.13. I've read a lot and haven't decided. I'll probably let the shop sway my decision. The Jeep is mostly a DD with mild wheeling. I do want to improve towing, a pop up or trailer is in the future.
Anyway.
I already have the nitro sleeves and weld on axle c gussets so I'll have them install those. I figured I'd have them replace the ball joints while they're there, I'm at 60k and been running on 35's for quite some time. Also a set of truetracs up front and rear since they'll be in there.

Regear
TrueTracs front/rear
Ball joints
Axle sleeves
C gussets

Anything else you'd add to the list without breaking the bank, something obvious I'm overlooking? Keeping in mind this is my DD, mild wheeler, camper puller, weekend fun machine for my wife, son and I.

Last edited by djab; 09-12-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

What engine and transmission do you have ? And what size tires are the biggest you think you will run should determine what gears you go with. Good luck !!!
Old 09-12-2014, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

I have the 3.8 and don't plan on going any bigger with the tires.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5.13 are overkill for 35s. I would go with an axle truss rather than sleeves.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Offroad
5.13 are overkill for 35s. I would go with an axle truss rather than sleeves.
Truss is nice, but not worth it if you have to pay a shop to do the work. Around here it's $700 for truss and install. And then you have to feel confident that they don't give it back with the axle smiling.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like a lot of money. You could probably buy a set of built D44s for the same price. Having a shop do the work quickly makes it not worth the cost.

Do you have a quote for all of that?
Old 09-12-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Looks like you have it covered except gear choice. Most 35's I think are closer to 34's, so I am on the.fence also between 5:13's and 4:88 in an auto trans. But, I am in no hurry, I am o.k with my 3:73's. Really want to add a Trutrac up front, have one in the rear axle.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
That sounds like a lot of money. You could probably buy a set of built D44s for the same price. Having a shop do the work quickly makes it not worth the cost.

Do you have a quote for all of that?
$1600 to regear both axles. After talking to the shop with labor and parts I don't have it'll probably stay under $4,000 for everything. I already have the axle sleeves so don't plan on making a change to a truss. If anything I'll leave them out altogether and sell them. I bought them a long time ago with the plan of putting them in myself but some things have come up and I can't. A set of built 44's would set me way back compared to all these things I want done. It's not worth the added cost that goes into that considering what I use my jeep for.

I am leaning more towards 4.88 because like someone else just said the tires measure closer to 34"

Not looking to change my plans. Done quite a bit of lurking research here and various other forums. Just looking to see if anyone would recommend anything in addition to what I'm planning since that area of my jeep will be "under the microscope."
Old 09-12-2014, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Im interested in all this as well...I have a 2010 JKU Sahara 30/44 3.8 with 3.73 and have been wanting to re-gear.
Im running 33x12.5x18 Nitto Mud Grapplers and at 65lbs a tire plus the weight of my Rockstar XD rim theres a lot of weight per axle I feel like im in a boat at full throttle with the anchor at the bottom of the ocean stuck between a bunch of bolders.
Im planning on getting the 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers and getting a lift im now running a leveling kit to clear the Nittos and have been for a while ive got 50k on the Nittos and they still look new but im not doing any off roading for now but plan to one day need the vehicle to transport my 2 kids around all the time.

Ive heard with the auto and 35s the best are the 5.13 gears and I read in here a while back its been a few years but they were saying that the 5.13s in the D30 are the best. I know with Nittos the 35s are actually a little larger then 35.

So my plan is the 5.13s
Old 09-12-2014, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

One thing to remember, is yes, the gear charts tell you what RPMs you will probably be running, but they don't factor in for all the weight you add to your JK & the aerodynamics of a parachute. For 35" tires, 5:13 is good for an auto.

I have a Rubicon and will most likely go 5:38. The 10-12k passes are a real bitch in CO, and I don't like to drive my JK over 70 anyway. My 2 pennies.

Quick Reply: Regear and while I'm at it plan...