Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regeared, AEV calibrated, getting high revs from 3rd to 4th - 4th to 5th

Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regeared, AEV calibrated, getting high revs from 3rd to 4th - 4th to 5th

4:88 gears
35"
Aev calibrated for gears and tires

90% of the time I am revving to 4,500-5,000 rpm's when going from 3rd to 4th, then 4th to 5th. I can usually let of the gas for a split second, then press back down on the gas and it will grab the higher gear. But, if I stay on the skinny peddle, it rev's to what I feel like are really extreme rpms.

It happens on flat ground, not just hills...I could understand it if it only happened when I am climbing, but that's not the case. I have even had it happen often if I peak at a hill and start downhill and it takes really high rpms to grab that higher gear.

2 things: is something up, or does this seem to be the norm?

Is there a way to calibrate for smaller or bigger gears and "trick" the engine into smoother shift points?

Let me know your thoughts and if I need to provide any more info...thanks.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

how does it do if you upshift manually? ie if you are in 3rd say at 40mph can you manually shift it up to 4th? at 45mph to 5th?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Measure your loaded tire height with the tire pressure you intend to run and reload with your Procal. I think you'll probably find your off in actual height.

Yes the AEV Procal can adjust gear ratio.

If you've already done this, flick the switches up/down and make sure they were making contact in the correct position.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jadmt
how does it do if you upshift manually? ie if you are in 3rd say at 40mph can you manually shift it up to 4th? at 45mph to 5th?
It does fine when I manually shift, no issues whatsoever
Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Idaho
Measure your loaded tire height with the tire pressure you intend to run and reload with your Procal. I think you'll probably find your off in actual height.

Yes the AEV Procal can adjust gear ratio.

If you've already done this, flick the switches up/down and make sure they were making contact in the correct position.
I did physically measure the tires once mounted. I have also re-loaded the procal with the 4:88 gears and the tire height setting twice in-case it didn't take the first time. All went smooth every time I've used it.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

Has anyone plugged the procal in at a different gear ratio setting? I read a thread after running some searches that someone had done it for tires sizes, but not gear ratio....
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

bump, any ideas?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brightwhite
bump, any ideas?
How many miles on the Wrangler?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps

How many miles on the Wrangler?
~9k, about 2,500 on the new gears. No noises or any issue with the gears either.

I paid attention earlier when I drove it and 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd all shift at around 3,000rpms. So it's really smooth on the slower end, just happens going to 4th and 5th as described in my original post.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I would set everything back to stock with the procal and then disconnect the battery for 1/2 an hour or so then reset everything. If you go to AEV's website they have a forum and they talk about on rare cases they need to do this.

Quick Reply: Regeared, AEV calibrated, getting high revs from 3rd to 4th - 4th to 5th