Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regearing a 2007 Rubicon at 70,000 miles

Old 07-31-2017, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Regearing a 2007 Rubicon at 70,000 miles

I've been having problems with water in my front differential and it appears that the contamination has finally started to damage the bearings. I have 35" tires and have put off regearing for years. If I'm going to do any kind of repair I'm just going to go for it and get the 5.38 gears I really need.

I'm wondering what else I should do in the course of this upgrade? Axle seals? Bearings?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2017, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you'll need a new master install kit as 70K miles and potential water contamination has likely taken a toll on the bearings. Get new axle seals as well to keep that water out and your oil in!
Old 07-31-2017, 10:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
Sounds like you'll need a new master install kit as 70K miles and potential water contamination has likely taken a toll on the bearings. Get new axle seals as well to keep that water out and your oil in!
+1. new master install kit should include everything you'll need. get ready to love your jeep again after regear
Old 07-31-2017, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never to late to re-gear, I agree you should change the inner axle seal also. I don't think the master install kit comes with that. A 12.00 part can save you a headache later on, replace it while everything is taken apart.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

My Yukon kit came with seals, but looking kits in general right now....some do, some don't. Either way....the world is screaming replace those suckers while the carrier is out.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
My Yukon kit came with seals, but looking kits in general right now....some do, some don't. Either way....the world is screaming replace those suckers while the carrier is out.
Yep, mine came with seals too...that's weird.

If you have any plans of trussing or gusseting the axle...now would be the time. Usually 9 times out of 10 the heat from welding will fry those axle seals, and ball joints. I know there was no mention of ball joints...but at 70k miles you should at least pop a new set of OEM's in there.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are 'going in', I would replace all seals and bearings from hubs to pinion...it isn't all that much cost relative to the project and good insurance. At least that is the route I went on my ZJ. That way I know I wouldn't be back in there for a long, long time if ever.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Just checked the ball joints and the lower appears to be bad on both size. There's a decent amount of up and down movement (along with a nice clunk). Based on how often I off-road this thing, I'm not surprised. It seems like the wheel bearings are good though. Then again, for less than $200 in parts, it's probably worth replacing them too.

I'll definitely be getting the full kits for each differential. All new parts are the only way to go I think.

Now to find someone I trust in San Diego to do the work (changing the gears correctly is a little beyond my comfort level).
Old 08-01-2017, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

While I'm tearing everything apart and replacing stuff, should I worry about the front u-joints?

One thing I forgot to mention is that even though I have about 70,000 miles on the odometer (which includes something like 1,000 to 2,000 miles off-road each year), I've also towed the Jeep about 45,000 miles behind my motorhome so the running gear has closer to 115,000 miles on it.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2017, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer
While I'm tearing everything apart and replacing stuff, should I worry about the front u-joints? One thing I forgot to mention is that even though I have about 70,000 miles on the odometer (which includes something like 1,000 to 2,000 miles off-road each year), I've also towed the Jeep about 45,000 miles behind my motorhome so the running gear has closer to 115,000 miles on it. Thoughts? Thanks!
If they have any play, then just pop in a new u-joint (very cheap). I wouldn't stress it though. You'd know if the u-joints were going bad, as they'd start an incredibly annoying clunking noise .

Quick Reply: Regearing a 2007 Rubicon at 70,000 miles