Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Regearing: DIY or shop install?

Old 01-26-2014, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Regearing: DIY or shop install?

I'm upgrading to 35s and I know ill need to re-gear ASAP but the thought of paying a shop ~$1500 kinda sucks.
I have a newer mustang as well and with it Ive always heard gearing is one of those things you're better off paying a shop to do for you.
Id like to re-gear both my Jeep and Mustang so if its something I could manage on my own I could potentially save a good bit of money.

What do you guys think about it? Is it something your average DIYer could manage or it is too tricky to get right?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've never done it before, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.

I've done it a few times before in school and still wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself on something worth quite a bit of money and something I drive everyday.

Of course, people have done it themselves with no prior teachings and have good luck.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

It can be done but I would take to shop unless your pretty confident in your abilities
Old 01-26-2014, 02:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Blacknorthernjk's first thread on his re-gearing project.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi.../begins-78112/

And the follow-up.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...gearing-82262/

If you still haven't got a clue after reading through these, pay someone...
Old 01-26-2014, 02:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about doing it myself but then said what if. What if something goes wrong. Then I'd have to tear back into it and find what was wrong. And potentially screw up a lot of other stuff.

I'd rather take it to someone who knows what they are doing, who will warranty their work. If something goes wrong, take it back to them and they fix it. It might cost a lot but I'd say it's worth the cash.

In still currently on 35s and 3.21 gears and I don't mind it to much on the road. Only reasoning want to regear is for offroad.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Former Vendor

Re-gearing is pretty labor intense and requires lots of measurements and checks. Overall its not that difficult but some special tools are required to perform the job correctly.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
Re-gearing is pretty labor intense and requires lots of measurements and checks. Overall its not that difficult but some special tools are required to perform the job correctly.
Sent you a PM... Looking for a qualified shop to do my re-gear!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What would be the right range in pricing for installing gears (labor only) by a professional shop, assuming all products purchased?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by brian3033
Sent you a PM... Looking for a qualified shop to do my re-gear!
It was good talking to you. Let us know what you think.

Originally Posted by Mbogan
What would be the right range in pricing for installing gears (labor only) by a professional shop, assuming all products purchased?
You aren't to far from us. PM us if you want to discuss pricing on everything.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbogan
Pricing varies wildly by location. Your best bet is to call around to all of your local shops, rather than try to compare based on what people on the opposite side of the country are paying. But 10 hours at shop rates might be a good starting point.

($1000 for gears+labor at some places in California and Texas doesn't really compare to people posting about $3000 for gears+labor on the east coast, right? Compare your local shops...)

Quick Reply: Regearing: DIY or shop install?