Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regearing factory LSD

Old 12-26-2018, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regearing factory LSD

I currently have a 2013 JKU with factory LSD and 3.73 gears. Can I do a gear change to 4.88 without messing up the LSD? I've been told it isn't possible for some reason or another. Anyone done it?
Old 12-26-2018, 04:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

What specifically was said?

The rear D44 carrier/limited should be fine with the either ratio. One problem that has been noted is that on newer JK's, you must update the computer to the new ratio!! (AEV ProCal, Superchips Flashcal / flashpaq, etc, etc) It's not a problem with the limited slip or the ratio itself, just a problem with the computer interpreting the data.

Another point of ongoing confusion is about 'automatic' lockers being run in newer Auto JK's. As far as I am aware, this does not apply to limited slips or selectable lockers, only auto-lockers like the Detroit Locker being run in the rear axles of 2012+ JK with auto transmissions. Depending on what was said, they could be confusing the performance of your factory limited slip with an auto-locker.

And another thing you could be hearing is about the carrier break on front D30's, which is between the 3.21 and 3.73 ratios. So a JK with 3.21's would need a new carrier (or locker, or full case limited) in that front axle when moving to 4.88's. Since you are starting with 3.73, not an issue.

I suppose one other thing you could be hearing is about the factory limited using clutches, which tend to wear out over time and become just another open carrier. If this is a concern for you, look at upgrading to Detroit Truetrac limited slips instead. Much better traction devices.

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-26-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
What specifically was said?

The rear D44 carrier/limited should be fine with the either ratio. One problem that has been noted is that on newer JK's, you must update the computer to the new ratio!! (AEV ProCal, Superchips Flashcal / flashpaq, etc, etc) It's not a problem with the limited slip or the ratio itself, just a problem with the computer interpreting the data.

Another point of ongoing confusion is about 'automatic' lockers being run in newer Auto JK's. As far as I am aware, this does not apply to limited slips or selectable lockers, only auto-lockers like the Detroit Locker being run in the rear axles of 2012+ JK with auto transmissions. Depending on what was said, they could be confusing the performance of your factory limited slip with an auto-locker.

And another thing you could be hearing is about the carrier break on front D30's, which is between the 3.21 and 3.73 ratios. So a JK with 3.21's would need a new carrier (or locker, or full case limited) in that front axle when moving to 4.88's. Since you are starting with 3.73, not an issue.

I suppose one other thing you could be hearing is about the factory limited using clutches, which tend to wear out over time and become just another open carrier. If this is a concern for you, look at upgrading to Detroit Truetrac limited slips instead. Much better traction devices.
Allow me to update, the factory LSD (my 2013JKU) is not a clutch type, it is gear tru trac style; factory switched around 2012 I believe. Being as I have 3.73s on 33s with 6 spd I am good as is.

Quick Reply: Regearing factory LSD