Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Relocationg the muffler without breaking bank?

Old 10-19-2012, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocationg the muffler without breaking bank?

I dont know really anything about mufflers or exhaust systems, but looking at what others are doing has me confused further. Some people buy systems that cost over $500 and others drive into a muffler place and spend $100, some claim mpg/hp gains others say save your money. My tail pipe keeps getting crushed in stock location i had to pry it open 2 times now, so i would like to relocate it, besides that i dont like seeing the muffler imo the jeep looks better when the muffler is hidden somewhere under it.

Is there a product that relocates the muffler without having to do anything with the evap, that also is not loud and annoying ( stock volume is fine ) and may offer mpg/hp gains?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mpg & hp gains would be very minimal with any new muffler & to find one that is relocated further forward without extra noise is a little hard to. I have the rustys off road exhaust it tucks the muffler right next to the evap & the exhaust dumps right where the stock muffler starts only bad thing about this is it makes my aftermarket bumper get a little warm. I know most of them you get that will make the muffler any smaller will increase your noise
Old 10-19-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sam187st
I dont know really anything about mufflers or exhaust systems, but looking at what others are doing has me confused further. Some people buy systems that cost over $500 and others drive into a muffler place and spend $100, some claim mpg/hp gains others say save your money. My tail pipe keeps getting crushed in stock location i had to pry it open 2 times now, so i would like to relocate it, besides that i dont like seeing the muffler imo the jeep looks better when the muffler is hidden somewhere under it.

Is there a product that relocates the muffler without having to do anything with the evap, that also is not loud and annoying ( stock volume is fine ) and may offer mpg/hp gains?
Check out aFe's high tuck system, mounts same place as stock one but is like half the size of stock muffler. I think MBRP has one that mounts before axle up on the frame rail out of the way (so no worries about damage).
Old 10-19-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check out aFe's high tuck system, muffler mounts in stock location but is half the size of the stock one. I think MBRP has one where the muffler mounts before axle up on the frame rail.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

as far as noise goes ill shoot for the quietest one rather than the loudest, some people try to make the jeep sound like it has a hemi or something, I think its stupid because your jeep should not be screaming like you have 500hp and you can barly stay with a 1980's honda. maybe I raised the bar a little to high on what i want. I just want something

simple to have installed

no drone and noise level as low as possible

no lose in hp/mpg at the least

muffler to reloacte to best place other than stock ( werever that may be )

and if possible not having to do extra work with evap ( if need be ill do it)

also what do you do with the silver heatshild. can/should that be taken off when moving the muffler?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I say your best bet is to take the old one and buy what ever muffler brand you want and bring it to a muffler shop. They can do it quick too because its only axle back
Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also relocating the evap is very easy. I got the kit from woods for a hassle free job. If your cheap there are several threads about relocating it for less than 20 bucks.

It took me less than an hour to move it on my own.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat Shield remove it after the relocate, but keep it. Sometimes people like to "wrap" it around after doing a relocate, but if done properly heat transfer should be minimal.
An option is our VT muffler, no drone! But has a nice sound a throttle. Look for an application in 2.5" I/O we have a side in/center out (17956) and a side in/side out (17959).
Done by a shop, I would guess $200ISH, but not too sure on the greater NYC cost.
You would need to do a EVAP relocate though, FYI.
We also have a lot of people use our muffler in our "rock crawler" and Evolution Competition System but this is about a 5-6 out of 10.

as far as noise goes ill shoot for the quietest one rather than the loudest, some people try to make the jeep sound like it has a hemi or something, I think its stupid because your jeep should not be screaming like you have 500hp and you can barly stay with a 1980's honda. maybe I raised the bar a little to high on what i want. I just want something

simple to have installed

no drone and noise level as low as possible

no lose in hp/mpg at the least

muffler to reloacte to best place other than stock ( werever that may be )

and if possible not having to do extra work with evap ( if need be ill do it)

also what do you do with the silver heatshild. can/should that be taken off when moving the muffler?

Quick Reply: Relocationg the muffler without breaking bank?