Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Removing Evap Canister?

Old 04-28-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Evap Canister?

Can the evap canister be removed with no bad side effects. It looks very similar to the ones that came on my motorcycles, I would just remove it and vent the tubes to air.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure its a closed loop so you can't just remove it and leave the hoses hanging. There should be a way to get rid of it though and close the loop and still not have the sensors flash a code.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well for what it's worth - I pulled evap can down to install a skid plate over it..and then bolted it back up. I did unhook all the connectors then made sure to get them re-connected. There is an o-ring around the large white'ish connector make sure it's sealed. Here's the problem I ran into...about a week after I installed it I get a check engine light and the message that says "GAS CAP" I check the forum and find some say it could be because I don't have the o-ring sealed correctly. I re-checked the connections and to best of my ability I have it all correct.

It is now in at a great Jeep dealership who 1) replaced the gas cap 2) ordered a new evap can and sensor fitting. Said it'll take a couple days to get it in everyone was out of stock near me. I did disclose obviously I couldn't hide it that I had pulled it down in order to get the skid on so I was concerned naturally about warranty issues. The dealership is taking care of me and it's all under warranty

Just thought I'd toss that out. Sorry for the long story.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just burned mine with my "mickey mouse" exhuast where the tip dumps out right near it. Oh well.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your jeep will run fine, however, you will get a gas cap alert and eventually throw a check engine code. It won't pass smog without it.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in a short answer no, besides getting a gascap and engine light, you will have trouble filling your gas tank, 1 the pump shutting off to soon and not shutting off at all and spilling gas all over
Old 04-28-2009, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the reply's, I guess I will leave it alone.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HOG4DNR
thanks for the reply's, I guess I will leave it alone.
That is your best bet Just get a skid plate if you are worried about breaking it
Old 04-29-2009, 03:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by nangulator
That is your best bet Just get a skid plate if you are worried about breaking it
Better yet, relocate it:

Jeep JK Evap Canister Relocation Kit

Brett is a sponsor of the forum, so be certain to mention you're a member--there may still be a discount.

BTW: That part about drilling underneath the Jeep is outdated--I've installed three of these kits and you can do the drilling from above. If you wheel in mud like I have, you'll appreciate that!

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-29-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure, take it right on off.

Quick Reply: Removing Evap Canister?