JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Replace stock shocks? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/replace-stock-shocks-310854/)

KVJK08 09-21-2014 09:25 PM

Replace stock shocks?

Hello all !
Freshie here, I am planning on getting a leveling kit for my 08 JKUX and I was wondering if I should get new shocks with it since it's 6 years old. Living in WI and having my jeep as a DD, rust is crazy. The shocks show little rust, but i just wanted to know if anything needs to be replaced at 6 years / 79k miles.

AngryRedBird 09-22-2014 12:02 AM

New shocks are a must at this point.. I aquired a set of skyjacker shocks from Daystar.. and at the time of installation.. it was deemed that 3 out of the 4 shock currently on the jeep had no return.. meaning (gone, fail, etc) and most would realize or at least I've been told that one should replace their shocks every 50K and just makes sense..

Stock shocks yeah they be ok.. but why not upgrade a bit.. currently and after our extremely long road trip.. I'm undecided as to these skyjackers.. Guess there would be a more noticable differance if the coil spacers were added. Otherwise, if I could have gotten away with adding rubicon shock and the coil spacer.. I would have done it this way.

So unless you want to keep the jeep stock.. then use stock parts.. just make sure you follow a given time frame to replace stuff as it tends to wear out within that given time frame, shocks 50K, belts/hoses 4 years etc..

Oh btw.. like the "freshie" comment way better then noob..

kjeeper10 09-22-2014 01:59 AM

Rancho Shocktober rebate. 26xl/28xl 0-2 x4 adjustable 9000's for $250 +/-
Awesome shock for the money.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed

KVJK08 09-22-2014 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird (Post 3984950)
New shocks are a must at this point.. I aquired a set of skyjacker shocks from Daystar.. and at the time of installation.. it was deemed that 3 out of the 4 shock currently on the jeep had no return.. meaning (gone, fail, etc) and most would realize or at least I've been told that one should replace their shocks every 50K and just makes sense.. Stock shocks yeah they be ok.. but why not upgrade a bit.. currently and after our extremely long road trip.. I'm undecided as to these skyjackers.. Guess there would be a more noticable differance if the coil spacers were added. Otherwise, if I could have gotten away with adding rubicon shock and the coil spacer.. I would have done it this way. So unless you want to keep the jeep stock.. then use stock parts.. just make sure you follow a given time frame to replace stuff as it tends to wear out within that given time frame, shocks 50K, belts/hoses 4 years etc.. Oh btw.. like the "freshie" comment way better then noob..

Thanks for the input! I 'll look into pieces to replace. & Haha, I thought freshie sounded better .

KVJK08 09-22-2014 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3984965)
Rancho Shocktober rebate. 26xl/28xl 0-2 x4 adjustable 9000's for $250 +/- Awesome shock for the money. 2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed

I'll take a look into it ! Thanks

ShiftKnowledge 09-22-2014 04:20 PM

Rancho XL9000 w/ rebate