Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Replace stock shocks?

Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace stock shocks?

Hello all !
Freshie here, I am planning on getting a leveling kit for my 08 JKUX and I was wondering if I should get new shocks with it since it's 6 years old. Living in WI and having my jeep as a DD, rust is crazy. The shocks show little rust, but i just wanted to know if anything needs to be replaced at 6 years / 79k miles.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:02 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New shocks are a must at this point.. I aquired a set of skyjacker shocks from Daystar.. and at the time of installation.. it was deemed that 3 out of the 4 shock currently on the jeep had no return.. meaning (gone, fail, etc) and most would realize or at least I've been told that one should replace their shocks every 50K and just makes sense..

Stock shocks yeah they be ok.. but why not upgrade a bit.. currently and after our extremely long road trip.. I'm undecided as to these skyjackers.. Guess there would be a more noticable differance if the coil spacers were added. Otherwise, if I could have gotten away with adding rubicon shock and the coil spacer.. I would have done it this way.

So unless you want to keep the jeep stock.. then use stock parts.. just make sure you follow a given time frame to replace stuff as it tends to wear out within that given time frame, shocks 50K, belts/hoses 4 years etc..

Oh btw.. like the "freshie" comment way better then noob..
Old 09-22-2014, 01:59 AM
JK Junkie

Rancho Shocktober rebate. 26xl/28xl 0-2 x4 adjustable 9000's for $250 +/-
Awesome shock for the money.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 09-22-2014, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
New shocks are a must at this point.. I aquired a set of skyjacker shocks from Daystar.. and at the time of installation.. it was deemed that 3 out of the 4 shock currently on the jeep had no return.. meaning (gone, fail, etc) and most would realize or at least I've been told that one should replace their shocks every 50K and just makes sense.. Stock shocks yeah they be ok.. but why not upgrade a bit.. currently and after our extremely long road trip.. I'm undecided as to these skyjackers.. Guess there would be a more noticable differance if the coil spacers were added. Otherwise, if I could have gotten away with adding rubicon shock and the coil spacer.. I would have done it this way. So unless you want to keep the jeep stock.. then use stock parts.. just make sure you follow a given time frame to replace stuff as it tends to wear out within that given time frame, shocks 50K, belts/hoses 4 years etc.. Oh btw.. like the "freshie" comment way better then noob..
Thanks for the input! I 'll look into pieces to replace. & Haha, I thought freshie sounded better .
Old 09-22-2014, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Rancho Shocktober rebate. 26xl/28xl 0-2 x4 adjustable 9000's for $250 +/- Awesome shock for the money. 2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
I'll take a look into it ! Thanks
Old 09-22-2014, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Rancho XL9000 w/ rebate

Quick Reply: Replace stock shocks?