Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Replace Which Front Arms?
Front Upper
0%
Front Lower
100.00%
Both
0%
Neither
0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Replace Upper or Lower Control Arms on 2.5 Lift ?

Old 11-29-2016, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Upper or Lower Control Arms on 2.5 Lift ?

Installed a 2.5" Teraflex coil w/ shock lift back in January. Was told to also do front lower arms to correct geometry/caster, but was waiting to do that when I got new wheels/tires. Delayed my wheels and tires until now. But now I was recommended to actually replace the front upper arms instead?

Which is better to replace? front upper or lower? Will be on a 2.5" lift with 35's
Old 11-29-2016, 12:42 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

If you have chosen to use adjustable control arms to correct your geometry, it is BEST to get both front uppers and lowers. the lowers will re-center your axle front to back, and the uppers will adjust caster. If you are in a bind and can't afford both uppers and lowers.......you can use the lowers to adjust the caster, but the placement of your axle might be less ideal than if you had both sets of arms....but only to a marginal degree.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

front lowers for caster adjustment. no need for uppers on a 2.5" lift.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dotnetrob
Installed a 2.5" Teraflex coil w/ shock lift back in January. Was told to also do front lower arms to correct geometry/caster, but was waiting to do that when I got new wheels/tires. Delayed my wheels and tires until now. But now I was recommended to actually replace the front upper arms instead?

Which is better to replace? front upper or lower? Will be on a 2.5" lift with 35's
I would go with front lower adjustable control arms. There are lots of great brands out there, but I run Rock Krawler LCA's on my 2 door. Let us know if you need forum pricing!
Old 11-29-2016, 01:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

They will do the same basic thing, rotate the housing to lower the pinion, which raises the caster. Lowers will be adjusted longer than stock to push the bottom of the housing forward. Uppers will be adjusted shorter than stock to pull the top of the housing back.

If you go with uppers only, verify that they will adjust shorter than stock.

You could also read a few threads on brackets and fixed arms.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added the Teraflex Sport lower control arms to mine on Friday. I just did the 2.5" Budget Boost for now. (As I had it in stock, and was tired of the lower rider look) Rides and drives like it did stock. Zero difference.

They run $199 for the pair. So it's a cheap way to get the front end right.

Quick Reply: Replace Upper or Lower Control Arms on 2.5 Lift ?