Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Replaced Rancho XL9000 with Fox-- In 10 minutes I understand why Fox is on top.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n3tfury
Hmm...this previous post back on 02/26 sure doesn't sound like your current one. So I'm going to say that your current post is full of shit.
Good sleuthing! But I see you didn't read too critically so I'll say it again. I thought the XLs were decent based on sheer ignorance. The ride was plush, so I was content. After the replacement, enlightenment was had. I didn't realize just how much my shocks had failed til I had a chance to inspect them. My springs apparently were deserving of the credit.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
So the remote reservoir shocks the other guys were running performed better at high speed desert driving than some blown out non-remote res shocks?

The new $240ish dollar shocks dampen better than the $68 (current price after rebate?) shocks that were blown out from previous use?

The $68 shocks are junk because they were installed the wrong direction and the knobs broke off when dropped onto rocks under full vehicle weight?

Wow, not what I would have expected. You would think that a shock that cost about 3 1/2 times less would have performed just as well as the shiny new remote res Fox's.
Aren't we snarky today? No problem, it's the Internet after all. But I take issue with being installed in the wrong direction. In my opinion, it's just a bad design, coupled with cheap parts. Installed "correctly" as you say, and the knob is quite difficult to reach or see. The location, and design of the adjustment knob could likely be fixed very easily. Whats more, the impact from the track bar mount has nothing to do with the orientation of the shock.

I have more than enough bump stomp to prevent over compression, so I have no idea how that happened other than poor design to have the shock body sit at the lower shock mount.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:57 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Default Shocks

This is not so much a brand difference, but the difference between a monotube shock design and a twin tube design.

(monotubes / Nascar, Offroading, F1 cars, etc)

Science wise, a monotube will always our perform a twin tube.

Though not everyone wants performance, so twin tubes are fine for those drivers.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:23 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont off road much at all but I have to say that when I changed out my Rubicon shocks with XL9000's it was like night and day. For the cost, they are the all around best shock on the market. And you point the knobs in not out.

Also the other funny thing is that you run your Jeep in extreme conditions and expect there to not be some damage?

That concept all together is hilarious. I guess you should keep your ride in the garage then.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Muscles
I dont off road much at all but I have to say that when I changed out my Rubicon shocks with XL9000's it was like night and day. For the cost, they are the all around best shock on the market. And you point the knobs in not out. Also the other funny thing is that you run your Jeep in extreme conditions and expect there to not be some damage? That concept all together is hilarious. I guess you should keep your ride in the garage then.

Yup I completely agree with you, I went from Bilsteins to Rancho 9000's night and day difference, the ride set at 3 is really comfortable on my JKU love the Ranchos never had any problems with them over 30k miles on them off and on road
Old 03-16-2015, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

I like both Rancho 9000xl's and Fox Resi's, having ran both of them on a few different Jeeps. I also like Fox remote resi coilovers too... it kinda boils down to price vs. performance IMO... I like the Rancho 9000xl's for their price point vs. the other shocks available for a similar price.

Quick Reply: Replaced Rancho XL9000 with Fox-- In 10 minutes I understand why Fox is on top.