Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Shocks

Old 02-09-2013, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Shocks

The time has come for my 2007 JKU Sahara to get new shocks. Have done some searching on here but most of the threads seem to be geared towards lifted setups. My JKU is stock and is a daily driver. It very rarely goes off-road but we did just move to Colorado from Texas so that may change in the future. Instead of just replacing the shocks with the stock parts I thought it would make sense to go ahead and upgrade into something that offers a little extra since I'm already spending some money.

I will be replacing the shocks myself and need to do it within the next few months. What are some stock-ish options that won't break the bank. I'd like something that makes the ride a little smoother but also can take a few bumps here and there. Have been looking for some Rubicon takeoffs but they seem to get snatched up pretty quickly. Should I just hold out for those or go ahead and get something else.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cheap upgrade would be to buy some rubicon take offs from someone who got a lift. You could probably find some with less than 1000 miles on them for pretty cheap and be a mild upgrade over the sport x shocks... I think rubi shocks from any year jk would fit on yours.

Bilstein makes 4600 series shocks for non lifted Jeeps I think are $75ish per pair.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hypeiv
cheap upgrade would be to buy some rubicon take offs from someone who got a lift. You could probably find some with less than 1000 miles on them for pretty cheap and be a mild upgrade over the sport x shocks... I think rubi shocks from any year jk would fit on yours.

Bilstein makes 4600 series shocks for non lifted Jeeps I think are $75ish per pair.
x2. i would first jump on the bandwagon and grab some rubi shocks but if you want to take the next step, then get the oem replacement bilsteins.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by drsnobiz
The time has come for my 2007 JKU Sahara to get new shocks. Have done some searching on here but most of the threads seem to be geared towards lifted setups. My JKU is stock and is a daily driver. It very rarely goes off-road but we did just move to Colorado from Texas so that may change in the future. Instead of just replacing the shocks with the stock parts I thought it would make sense to go ahead and upgrade into something that offers a little extra since I'm already spending some money.

I will be replacing the shocks myself and need to do it within the next few months. What are some stock-ish options that won't break the bank. I'd like something that makes the ride a little smoother but also can take a few bumps here and there. Have been looking for some Rubicon takeoffs but they seem to get snatched up pretty quickly. Should I just hold out for those or go ahead and get something else.

Any suggestions?
I'm trying pro comp es9000. I have them on my suburban and they are really really good. For the money, I'm not out a lot to try. 207 with a new steering stabilizer. I will report back after a few weeks of driving.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Monroe or Gabriel are good OEM replacements.

Bilstein and Rancho make shocks for 0" lift and would be a nice upgrade.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I suggest going the rubi route for shocks if you are staying stock. I have an 07 and just replaced mine with rubi shocks off a 2013, found all 4 for $100 shipped. They do get snatched up quick but keep looking.. craigslist, ebay, the forum and so on.

Quick Reply: Replacing Shocks