Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retorqing Wheel Spacers

Old 01-05-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Retorqing Wheel Spacers

After installation of wheel spacers it says to check and retorque them shortly after installation (after first 100 miles or so). My question is, if they are just a tiny bit loose and the nut moves a fraction of a turn, does that not break the seal on the locktite and render it useless? If it does move slightly when you check it, do you take it off and re-locktite it?

Thanks

BTW i'm talking about it just budging, not moving like a quarter turn or anything....
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good question, I've wondered the same thing.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say re loctite the ones that were a little loose. I would think that those nuts act similar to the wheel lug nuts. I have had the RC and SPIDATRAX brand the RC's didn't say to use the loctite so I don't think it should be a big e
Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I thought. I would just think that any torque you put on the bolt would effect the strength of the lock tight. Lol and i used locktight to make sure my exhaust doesn't rattle loose, i am damn sure gonna use it for wheel spacer!! Lol
Old 01-05-2013, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

Whenever I run wheel spacers I torque them to 95 ft/lbs. Then when it comes time to check / re-torque them, I set my wrench to ~92 ft/lbs. If the nut moves then I know I have to add new lock tite, if it doesn't budge then I know the spacers are good to go...
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default 100 ft-lb

The lug nuts on the JK are supposed to be torqued at 95 ft-lbs according to the owners manual. When installing wheel spacers, torque them at 100 ft-lbs using the loctite, and check them at 95 ft-lbs after a few miles and at every tire rotation. If you don't find any loose lug nuts, you haven't broken the seal on the loctite and you should be fine. If you do find some loose, you have a problem. You will need to remove the wheel spacer and clean the lug nuts and the wheel studs and reinstall using new loctite an.

Joe
Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by aldaman
Whenever I run wheel spacers I torque them to 95 ft/lbs. Then when it comes time to check / re-torque them, I set my wrench to ~92 ft/lbs. If the nut moves then I know I have to add new lock tite, if it doesn't budge then I know the spacers are good to go...
This is what I do...

Quick Reply: Retorqing Wheel Spacers