Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Retreads - Load Range D or E?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retreads - Load Range D or E?

I'm looking at possibly getting some 285/70/R17 retreads from Treadwright (most likely the Warden A/T model), since she's my DD.

It's available in load range D or E, with no major cost difference. My thoughts are the extra sidewall plies that a load E comes with would provide more peace of mind when running a used tire. However, I also hear it makes the ride rougher, understandably.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I'm thinking Load range E is overkill and will be way too stiff a ride.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had mine for about 6 months. They are load range D. Was thinking like you that E was overkill and would make sidewalls too stiff. Really like the way mine ride.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone had problems with these tires. I was thinking of getting 4 but I'm scared of used tires.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have D rating Treadwright 35s and they're great. I've punished them on the rocks in Uwharrie and Black Mtn Offroad park, and just took a 1300 mile trip at 75MPH avg speed with no problems. 10k miles so far.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Redjk777
Has anyone had problems with these tires. I was thinking of getting 4 but I'm scared of used tires.
I don't trust them and never would. To answer op question the e will ride decent as long as you keep the air pressure low enough, and yes will be more durable
Old 08-06-2012, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dave nelson
I'm looking at possibly getting some 285/70/R17 retreads from Treadwright (most likely the Warden A/T model), since she's my DD.

It's available in load range D or E, with no major cost difference. My thoughts are the extra sidewall plies that a load E comes with would provide more peace of mind when running a used tire. However, I also hear it makes the ride rougher, understandably.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I'm thinking Load range E is overkill and will be way too stiff a ride.
I'm running 285/70/r17 BFG a/t. I have E. i think it rides great but I like the stiffer ride. Each tire could support the weight of a jeep on its own. With the right tire pressure you will be just fine on and off road.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dave nelson

Ps... Just so you know if you dont have a life they will rub a little bit. You could also use the spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers. It stops the rubbing and gives it an aggressive look.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan0260
i don't trust them and never would. To answer op question the e will ride decent as long as you keep the air pressure low enough, and yes will be more durable
x2 !
Old 08-06-2012, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know about our jeeps but on trucks it's illegal to have them on ur steering axle. If illegal For us i doubt a D.O.T cop will be messing with jeeps
Old 08-06-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I researched the DOT rules on retreads and did see that they're illegal for commercial transport trucks on the steering axle, but I didn't come across anything indicating non-legality on passenger trucks/jeeps, even in the California laws. If it's good enough for the "nanny state", I say it's probably reasonably safe!

MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY
Applies to California ONLY

Excerpt from Title 13
California Code of Regulations
(Current through Register 98, No. 19)

*1087 Tire Condition and Use

(c) Recapped Tires. Tires recapped or retreaded for highway use shall have a tread pattern that complies with Section 27465 of the Vehicle Code and with this section. Retreaded or recapped tires shall not be used on front wheels of a bus or farm labor vehicle. Such tires shall not be used on the front wheels of truck tractors or motortrucks listed in Vehicle Code Section 34500 unless the tires are in compliance with the following requirements:

(1) Tires shall have been retreaded or recapped not more than 2 times and shall contain no casing repair other than required by a nail puncture.

(2) Tires shall conform to either the labeling and other requirements of the 1972 CRSC Retreading Specifications and Standards or to the Industry Standards For Tire Retreading & Repairing revised September 1, 1995.Tires retreaded on or after November 1, 1997, shall conform to the Industry Standards For Tire Retreading & Repairing revised September 1, 1995.
Note that CVC34500 includes 3-axle vehicles, buses, trucks transporting haz mat, etc. Definitely not Jeeps, and not pickup trucks.

As much as there are a few people who are strongly skeptical about these, I can't seem to find anyone, on any forum, ever, who has posted anything about having an accident as a result of a failed retread, etc etc. I'm hearing nothing but good things from actual retread buyers overall.

I just plan to pay close attention to them, and make sure I've got them at optimal pressure (using the chalk test, and re-checking the pressure every time I fill up the tank), and rotate once a month or so.

I'll probably end up going with load range D, since it seems more fitting for vehicles of our weight/size. Now the next question - Wardens (AT's) or Guard Dogs (MT's)? I've had no problems with the A/T pattern on the stock Rubi wheels, so that's why I'm defaulting to the Wardens. Plus I hear the Guard Dogs are extremely loud. Does anyone have any input on either tread type (assuming it's for a DD, with maybe 12 offroad trips/year)?

Quick Reply: Retreads - Load Range D or E?