Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ring and Pinion Install

Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
Just so I got it right, hone the old bearing for a slip on fit, get the shims right, then replace the old with the pressed on new bearing? Will the new bearing effect the pinion depth vs the old bearing, or not enough to make a difference?
Yes, that is correct. The difference between the old VS the new bearing is literally next to nothing. I have to concur with shortbus, though. If you've never done it before, it is quite challenging. I'm certainly not taking anything away from you. Hell, I did it for the first time a LONG time ago all by myself. If this stupid redneck can figure it out, I'm sure anybody can. It would be the SMART man though, who had a back up plan, just in case.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called Burnville near Minneapolis today. Seems they are the onliy shop nearby with experience. I have all of the parts and they quoted $700 labor. I thought that was a little high, but I want it to be done right.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:35 PM
JK Newbie

Do not use an impact to crush your sleeve. You will ruin it. Use a breaker bar
and a torque wrench.

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
I have changed out the ring and pinion before. it only becomes easy after you have done it and after you understand it. It is a bit of an art form mixed with presicion. And just because you have the same carrier, it does not mean you will have the same pinion depth. Look at the numbers on your new pinion and compare it to your old one. Make adjustments accordingly. You will also need a dial indicator to check your backlash. I got mine for $50.

Remember, it takes over 150 PSI to crush your sleve. I have a 150 psi air compressor and it is not enough. I have to bring my neighbors compressor to my house to get that sucker to crush.

Your pre load is key... make sure you get that right, or you will break stuff and more than likely it will happen on the trail.

One last thought. Before putting your new bearing on your pinion, grind out some of the inside diamber of your bearing so you can slide the bearing on and off. This will save you considerable time when working on your pinion depth.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Default I don't get it

everyone makes this job out to be the most difficult thing in the world to do.
It's really not hard, I just did 5.13's in my Rubicon and the only issue was Superior gear built the gear wrong. (I will never buy from them again,but that's a different story)
With the superior gearset I used all the factory shims (reverse the position of the carrier shims) and got a perfect setup.
And I must disagree with taking a grinder to the pinon bearing. Don't do it, if the bearing race spins on the pinon shaft it will destroy the bearing and fill the diff with metal shavings.
Don't be lazy doing a gear swap, that's asking for trouble.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

we clarified that the honing should only be done on the old bearing until the pinion depth is set perfect, then press on the new bearing.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
we clarified that the honing should only be done on the old bearing until the pinion depth is set perfect, then press on the new bearing.
That's right. It's a perfectly acceptable practice. But, not with a "grinder" as mentioned above. With a HONE, as I mentioned earlier. A decent small bore cylinder hone on a cordless drill will work just fine. You can rent one at most auto parts stores. If you have access to a parts washer, just make sure to keep the hone well lubed while doing the job, and it'll be just fine. You don't want to go too far with the bearing, so check it often.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Smile Gear Installation

In PHX, Absolute Off-Road quoted me $1200 out the door for 5.13 gear installation on my JK Rubicon......
Old 07-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I called Burnville near Minneapolis today. Seems they are the onliy shop nearby with experience. I have all of the parts and they quoted $700 labor. I thought that was a little high, but I want it to be done right.

That is a very fair price.

David
Old 07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey RedneckJeep

Just sent you a PM. Please check it out when you have a chance.

Thanks.

reynolr
Old 07-01-2008, 07:12 PM
JK Super Freak

thanks...will order another crush sleve and do it again or safe measures. Have not had a problem as of yet...

Quick Reply: Ring and Pinion Install