Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ripp charger finally fitted!!

Old 09-17-2008, 04:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ripp charger finally fitted!!

Ok, all the way to Dubai.. where my red megatron reside and run.. I got the Ripp supercharger kit (SDS for 3.8L) and with the methanol-water digital cooling system..

It took 12 hours to get the whole installation done and even supervised by RIPP !!! Perry from Ripp was in the workshop and followed the whole thing. This I call 1st class customer service.

Today I done the road test, here is what I think:
- Yes it feels that I have got a larger engine and the car accelrates better and quicker.
- The noise of the charger is not that much but I can feel the breathing since the air intake is now closer to the firewall and it just follow your foot on the gas..
- No engine check lights, no funny reading onthe scan-gague. The temp is normal and the fuel consumption feels unchanged (still a rip off but hey I live in Dubai..)

The car runs 37" and 5.13 R&P with auto tran. Th car felt dead before although AEM, catback and unichip were all there.. the charger really changed the whole thing HOWEVER... it really feels best when you are above 3000 RPM.. which might be an issue of a tuning.. I will wait for Perry to have a look next time he is here. It is indeed a nice package for a reasonable price and worth it.

I will post photos soon
Old 09-17-2008, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Awesome review. What was the total cost? Also, how do I get Perry to oversee my install if I get one?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:03 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zekisson
Ok, all the way to Dubai.. where my red megatron reside and run.. I got the Ripp supercharger kit (SDS for 3.8L) and with the methanol-water digital cooling system..

It took 12 hours to get the whole installation done and even supervised by RIPP !!! Perry from Ripp was in the workshop and followed the whole thing. This I call 1st class customer service.

Today I done the road test, here is what I think:
- Yes it feels that I have got a larger engine and the car accelrates better and quicker.
- The noise of the charger is not that much but I can feel the breathing since the air intake is now closer to the firewall and it just follow your foot on the gas..
- No engine check lights, no funny reading onthe scan-gague. The temp is normal and the fuel consumption feels unchanged (still a rip off but hey I live in Dubai..)

The car runs 37" and 5.13 R&P with auto tran. Th car felt dead before although AEM, catback and unichip were all there.. the charger really changed the whole thing HOWEVER... it really feels best when you are above 3000 RPM.. which might be an issue of a tuning.. I will wait for Perry to have a look next time he is here. It is indeed a nice package for a reasonable price and worth it.

I will post photos soon
Excellent to hear, I'm glad it went smooth and your happy.... arrow angle V6's leave you wanting more torque, that's just a product of the platform. The Engines volumetric efficiency crosses over with the blower at about 2500, the automatics torque converter doesn't lock up until 3200rpm. that's why the Auto's feel better over 3000, and that's why our current dyno sheets are all above 3000 rpm to get an accurate reading.

We are glad to hear the heat, fitment and overall run condition is just as would be in the states. Enjoy your ride, and keep an eye on your boost cooler, we are curious to hear if consumption is up based on temps.

RIPPTECH
Old 09-17-2008, 05:14 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
Awesome review. What was the total cost? Also, how do I get Perry to oversee my install if I get one?
Perry is RIPP's electronics engineer, he heads all the electronics projects in our shop including tuning our race cars. He over saw this install because it was a different country and climate. The Continental US shouldn't be a problem providing you follow the instructions properly.

Speaking of which considering how many units we have sent out and how much feed back we are receiving the instructions are getting better and better. Upgrades to the instructions are:

Easy to read wiring diagram
Full Vacuum diagram
Integrated Boost Cooler instruction
Larger clearer color pictures
Itemized product list

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting... they are getting real nice.

RIPPTECH
Old 09-17-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Newbie

I would totally agree with RIPP.. the manual was very clear and the work process is not complicated at all. I have seen some SRT8 supercharger installs and believe me it was night mare.. this kit is much of a plug and play.. and it will be only if RIPP get their hands on the bridge connection plugs used in Unichip to plug their chipset to the ECU without cutting cable.. A full pluginplay!

I spoken to Perry and will build a harness based on the plugs I cut off the Unichip used in the same car, I will send the same to our cable ODM vendor in Taiwan and get them to build a sample..

I will keep watching the heat issues, today I really abused the charger with flooring the throttle and yet the engine tmep stayed in the middle when outside air temp was 46 C°.

This kit compared to others for the JK as tested here in the UAE is by far the best I’ve ever seen. Offroad innovation have big probs with even converting the engine-driven based fan to electrical in order to avoid the big fan shroud we have as middle east specs.. This caused the test car to almost melt as electrical fan didn’t do the job!

I will head to a friend next week for a dyno test without changing my 37” tires and see.. I might at a later stage re-gear from 5.13 back to 4.88 to feel better accelerations as I tested with both and had to change to 5.13 before the charger was in place..

Last edited by zekisson; 09-17-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Com on now, give up the total cost.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lets see some install pics!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love to know what kind of mpg your getting with the 37's/5:13's/auto combination. I need to ask for a raise so I can get this kit.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
Com on now, give up the total cost.
Please keep in mind that he is in Dubai and there are heavy tariffs to get product to him.

RIPPTECH
Old 09-17-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Please keep in mind that he is in Dubai and there are heavy tariffs to get product to him.

RIPPTECH

Ouch,,, that much huh... Still like to see some pics of the install.

Quick Reply: Ripp charger finally fitted!!