Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ripp charger and Liquefied Petroleum Gas

Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ripp charger and Liquefied Petroleum Gas

Hello everyone,

Thinking about adding a Ripp Charger to my 3.8, but because of the cost of gas over here, 7,75$ a gallon I'm also planning on installing an
LPG system. These systems are very common over here.

Now I've already asked Ripp about this a few days ago, but haven't received an answer yet. So I thought why not ask you guys about it. In my opinion it
can be done. LPG even has a higher octane value then normal gas.

What do you guys think?

(chances of meeting someone here who has this setup would be small, I think)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Homework

I would do my homework on this first. LPG systems (I work at an LPG Extraction plant) are common here too. However on newer vehicles it is important to do some home work. Are you talking about a vapour injection or liquid injection? Is it going to start on gas and then run on propane or straight propane system? Back in the day the kits were a lot simpler due to the vehicles themselves being simpler. Plus at one point Ford was shipping factory installed propane F-150's. However now to my knowledge there is no auto manufacturers offering this. A friend at work has a propane system and it also has an oil injection system on it that meters a precise flow of oil to inject into the engine. Another thing to research which I hear is a common problem has to do with the hardness of the valve seats in the 3.8. I have no idea what scale they use or what you are looking for as far as a number but I hear propane can cause valve seat wash out if seats are not hard enough. I would be intreseted to hear what you find out so please post an update. The one thing I assume you can count on is both Chrysler and Ripp will not be touching your Jeep with a 10 foot pole as far as warranty wise. Where were you planning on putting the tank for this? Where I live its mostly pick-ups with propane and they have a large 400 Litre in the box, remember it takes considerably more propane then gas to go the same distance. Any way good luck and post some updates.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennisr
Hello everyone,

Thinking about adding a Ripp Charger to my 3.8, but because of the cost of gas over here, 7,75$ a gallon I'm also planning on installing an
LPG system. These systems are very common over here.

Now I've already asked Ripp about this a few days ago, but haven't received an answer yet. So I thought why not ask you guys about it. In my opinion it
can be done. LPG even has a higher octane value then normal gas.

What do you guys think?

(chances of meeting someone here who has this setup would be small, I think)
Yes it can be done

This cannot be answered simply - The tune we provide is obviously for fuel - You would need to go for a custom tune locally...

In Colorado we have clients with Ethanol tunes - they make more power, but they are at altitude so the power number is lower than it would be at sea level.

RIPPTECH
Old 01-12-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had to have mine tuned twice and I use gas, cost $900 for all the tuning so count that into your cost.. The system is touchy in my opinion, cruise control for example makes for a terrible ride. I would not do it again if I started over, found out after it was installed that it would not pass smog. Same here called Ripp they didn't call back over my complaint.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm very sorry I didn't reply earlier. I didn't put the email notification on.

To answer a few questions;

bobbyspaghetti; I want to add a LPG gas tank anyway, because of the bad consumption en the pricing om gas here. The system I want to add(done her more often) is to replace the existing gas tank with a smaller one and use the created space to put the LPG tank in. It will start on gas and then switch to LPG. The system is also included with the little oiltank you mentioned.

Vehicles with OEM LPG tanks are more common here. Ford, Peugeot, Volvo, are just a few I can think of.

HolyMolyRacing; That's not what I wanted to hear. Does your Jeep drive ok when using gas. Or do you have problems with the Ripp system overall(for example with the cruise control)? Also the lack in service is also a problem, because I'm overseas and want a reliable system.

Rippmods; Doing a local tuning setting is not my biggest problem, but there is no guarantee that it will run smooth, is there? Also reading the post from HolyMoly doesn't give me confidence. Do you have clients with the setup I want to use?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by HolyMolyRacing
I had to have mine tuned twice and I use gas, cost $900 for all the tuning so count that into your cost.. The system is touchy in my opinion, cruise control for example makes for a terrible ride. I would not do it again if I started over, found out after it was installed that it would not pass smog. Same here called Ripp they didn't call back over my complaint.

Sorry we missed this - simply email ripptuning@gmail.com and request a newer tune - there are updates and approaches that correct what you may be feeling.

RIPPTECH
Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Dennisr
I'm very sorry I didn't reply earlier. I didn't put the email notification on.

To answer a few questions;

bobbyspaghetti; I want to add a LPG gas tank anyway, because of the bad consumption en the pricing om gas here. The system I want to add(done her more often) is to replace the existing gas tank with a smaller one and use the created space to put the LPG tank in. It will start on gas and then switch to LPG. The system is also included with the little oiltank you mentioned.

Vehicles with OEM LPG tanks are more common here. Ford, Peugeot, Volvo, are just a few I can think of.

HolyMolyRacing; That's not what I wanted to hear. Does your Jeep drive ok when using gas. Or do you have problems with the Ripp system overall(for example with the cruise control)? Also the lack in service is also a problem, because I'm overseas and want a reliable system.

Rippmods; Doing a local tuning setting is not my biggest problem, but there is no guarantee that it will run smooth, is there? Also reading the post from HolyMoly doesn't give me confidence. Do you have clients with the setup I want to use?
We do not know what Holymolyracing is referring too - we are all over any issues clients have - we always lend our tech services to help...

In the states there are a few clients running RIPP Powered JK's with E85 fuel, but we did not do the tuning, nor do we have access to the mapping. We do not know how your RIPP Supercharged LPG powered JK will run after a third party tunes the calibration. If the calibrator is good it will run fantastic. There are many great Diablosport tuners in Germany LINK TO Diablosport Dealers

RIPPTECH

Quick Reply: Ripp charger and Liquefied Petroleum Gas