Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RIPP headers loudness

Old 10-20-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIPP headers loudness

I have the RIPP SC and am thinking of putting the headers (for added power) on as well too. I don't have an exhaust because I don't want the added noise/drone. If I went with the headers how much louder would my Jeep be with the stock exhaust?
any vid clips?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheHighLow
I have the RIPP SC and am thinking of putting the headers (for added power) on as well too. I don't have an exhaust because I don't want the added noise/drone. If I went with the headers how much louder would my Jeep be with the stock exhaust?
any vid clips?
Loud I'm guessing . They recommend using a hush power resonator I believe to reduce the noise/drone ...
Old 10-21-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

I have heard one with the headers and muffler replacement. Very, very loud.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by szobell
I have heard one with the headers and muffler replacement. Very, very loud.

that's what I"m afraid off. It just seems that no matter what catback (OEM or AFK) one has the headers produce an insane ammount of noise. Dissapointing, considering the power gains I can get with their header tune.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

I have the Ripp headers with the hush power resonator and the MBRP cat-back. It is not very loud. Is there a difference from stock, Yes. Is it loud, No. I drove all summer with my top off. No issue.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is it about the headers that is making noise for some?

I wouldn't expect headers themselves to make any real additional noise. You should be able to hear cylinders firing through the firewall - but it shouldn't be intrusive.

Exhaust wise, you may need to control rasp with a resonator.

Something to mention, but I've been taught that headers on a supercharged application don't normally provide the same gains they would in a normally aspirated application. If manifolds back are a restriction to exhaust flow, you'll get gains. But if not, you wont see much. I'm sure Ripp or others have dyno sheets...
Old 10-07-2013, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

Default Still searching for the right muffler

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck
I have the Ripp headers with the hush power resonator and the MBRP cat-back. It is not very loud. Is there a difference from stock, Yes. Is it loud, No. I drove all summer with my top off. No issue.
I have to disagree with the this. I have the exact setup ran it with and with out the super charger installed. The sound of acceleration is ricey around 2500-3500rpm but ok for sound level. The drone from coasting or deceleration is terrible. Vibrates your eardrums. My wife refuses to go in my Jeep, which some days is a good thing...

I have tried the following with my Ripp headers.

Stock muffler - quiet, but baffles vibrated out in a couple weeks turned really ricey sounding, but no drone.
Walker direct stock replacement - quiet, but again baffles fell right out of it and sounded like a wind up toy.
Ford muffler off a V6 ranger. - Very, very, very quiet. But also reduced gas mileage by 3MPG and robbed power, baffles lasted about a month before they started to make a racket.
MBRP muffler by its self - Very, very, very loud and ricer burner extreme. Vibration on ears was like have 2 high powered 12" subs cranked.
MBRP muffler with resonator- Not to bad for acceleration, but ricey. Drone on deceleration was way better, but still to loud and annoying. like a single 10 sub vibrating your ears.
Flow Master 50 series with resonator- No rice... but louder than the MBRP. Drone was worse than the MBRP as well.

Not sure what to try next. Gibson is out, from what I have read they are loud.

Trying to find a balance between reasonable quite and still allowing the performance to come through. I will say the MBRP and Flowmaster allow the engine to achieve slight better mileage and higher boost levels with the super charger then the rest.

I am thinking Borla, but would love some one to sound in as they are not cheap.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

They are louder than stock and battling with the drone can get annoying. I've got the recommended hush resonator which tones down the rasp a little and currently a magnaflow muffler and it's not bad at idle but loud on accel and lots of drone. I'd like to try a corsa db muffler and see how that sounds.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would stay away from the RIPP headers, i had a ripp gen 2 kit installed on my jeep. I only had the supercharger kit installed for about 3 months. I could barely tell any power increase from the supercharger and headers, i am now in the process of doing a LS swap. The headers were only on my jeep for 2 days. Sitting at idle you could barely tell a difference from stock sound, but from 2500 RPM's up it sounded like a straight piped honda civic. Also i was running a factor muffler.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

I would have to disagree that the noise level is not loud at all with the headers, hush power resonator and OEM muffler. I have the complete RIPP Gen 2 V3 intercooled supercharger kit along with RIPP Long Tube Headers, FlowMaster "Hush Power" Resonator, and OEM muffler setup. It does sound different from OEM being stronger than the stock sound of the engine, but would expect that with performance mods.

Here is a video my son took using the cell phone of revving the Jeep versus the 135db dual airhorns.

http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/TXROCK/media/IMG_1696.mp4.html

Last edited by TXROCK; 10-17-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: RIPP headers loudness