Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ripp Supercharger Question

Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ripp Supercharger Question

For the resident Ripp representative or for those of you with a Ripp supercharger I had a question about it as I am officially beginning the process of saving for it.

Anyway the way I understand the intercooling system is that it essentially injects a methanol/water blend that is stored in the stock windshield washer fluid reservoir to cool off the intake air charge. My questions are:

1. How long does the stock reservoir last under "normal" driving conditions?

2. Does the system sense when you run out of the mixture and change anything (like a change in tuning to protect the engine) or does it run the same tuning but just with decreased performance and increased likelihood of knock due to the warmer air charge?

3. Can normal blue windshield washer fluid be used in place of methanol/water blend (as I looked on a bottle of standard blue washer fluid yesterday and it looked like the only ingredients are 40% methanol and 60% water or the other way around, I can't remember)?

Thanks for any responses!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Could some body answer this question. While you're at it can you run a normal rad style intercooler
Old 09-23-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Depends how much you use the fluid to clean your windshied. I would say at least 3k miles.

2. No. I was told to never let it run out and if it does, disconnect the meth kit.

3. No. I've tried several different combinations of pure meth and water. Nothing works as good as Prestone De-Icer windshield washer fluid with dirt blocker. Don't put anything blue in there. In fact, get a sharpie and write "meth only" on the resevoir just in case.

Originally Posted by tpm152
For the resident Ripp representative or for those of you with a Ripp supercharger I had a question about it as I am officially beginning the process of saving for it.

Anyway the way I understand the intercooling system is that it essentially injects a methanol/water blend that is stored in the stock windshield washer fluid reservoir to cool off the intake air charge. My questions are:

2. Does the system sense when you run out of the mixture and change anything (like a change in tuning to protect the engine) or does it run the same tuning but just with decreased performance and increased likelihood of knock due to the warmer air charge?

3. Can normal blue windshield washer fluid be used in place of methanol/water blend (as I looked on a bottle of standard blue washer fluid yesterday and it looked like the only ingredients are 40% methanol and 60% water or the other way around, I can't remember)?

Old 09-23-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the replies. Another thing I forgot to ask for is after searching really hard I have not been able to find a copy of the dyno chart(s) comparing stock with the supercharger. Anyone have these?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

a chart would be nice
Old 09-23-2009, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

i take it prestone de-icer is mainly methanol ?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We’ve seen as much as 4000 miles – 3000 is pretty normal. Remember you only use the system when boosting and even then only over 2psi at its slowest setting. When it is triggered it’s a very finely misted (Windex style) mist which evaporates to cool the air down. The consumption has never been as issue and since most of the time your showing off you system to friends or fellow JK owners its easy to see the level.

Yes – you knock system is not over ridden, we didn’t tune with this to the point where you rely on this. If you run out in high octane mode the stock ECU will pick up a few points of knock and back off timing for you as though you got weak gas. Remember JK’s run on 87 from the factory. Secondly, our system is programmed with a 15% swing, should your ECU pick up knock we would know as well and compensate for you.

No – at worst case – VERY VERY worst case use the coldest deicer you can find and add 8oz – 10oz of real meth to the full window washing tank…. But we would much rather you juts call us and have use ship you out a case of 6… its cheap enough and we would be happy to do it.

RIPPTECH
Old 09-23-2009, 02:51 PM
JK Freak

Thanks Ripp, would you be able to post the dyno charts comparing stock to supercharged? I'm curious about the torque/horsepower curves
Old 09-23-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

How much is the RIPP supercharget setup for the JK? I have been saving for the hemi install, but if the RIPP is significantly cheaper and can help me get 37" tires over the colorado rockies and into MOAB then I am interested.

RIPP do you have specs, photos, videos, or any literature describing the pros - cons of your setup?

Can you use this supercharger with a superchip programmer or does this setup come with its own programmer?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread mate.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks Ripp, would you be able to post the dyno charts comparing stock to supercharged? I'm curious about the torque/horsepower curves
X2. Those curves would be very helpful.

Quick Reply: Ripp Supercharger Question