Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

RK 2.5 X factor and King 2.5 ADJ Reservoir combination

Old 04-09-2016, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RK 2.5 X factor and King 2.5 ADJ Reservoir combination

2016 JKU RUbi with armor all around

will be utilizing Rock Krawler 2.5 X factor
with King 2.5 adjustable remote reservoir

no need to worry about my use....

just want input on anyones past experience with a similar combination.

still havent completely decided on OME BP51 which i believe is a 2.0" or the kings 2.5 adjustable for same price. i have been instructed that i will need to utilize shock relocation brackets for the 2.5ers? also, up travel is a big concern. will use aggressive bump stop and limit straps for shock protection. flex is important, durability is more important.
rebuilding shocks is not an issue.

i will look at adj remote reservoir 2.0 fox or kings if anyone is confident in fitment issues once i get some flex with 2.5 shocks at only 2.5 inches of lift
Old 04-10-2016, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2883884888.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	460.0 KB
ID:	643284 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-621822643.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	502.8 KB
ID:	643285 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-785912503.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	771.0 KB
ID:	643288 This is by far one of the best mods I done to my Jeep the only thing I would do different is the coils at first I had 2.5" coils but I felt the back could be a little higher so I replaced the rears for 3.5" coils. And 2.5" in the front that according to RK fronts are actually 3.0" and rears are 2.5" to get the leveled stance it gives me room for loading up cargo and not end up with higher front end. As far as the Kings well you get what you pay for the adjustors are freaking awesome and the way it rides will change your Jeep in a great way.
Also recommend the king bump stops
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3603413368.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	771.0 KB
ID:	643286  

Last edited by stangmike1; 04-10-2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stangmike1
Attachment 643284 Attachment 643285 Attachment 643288 This is by far one of the best mods I done to my Jeep the only thing I would do different is the coils at first I had 2.5" coils but I felt the back could be a little higher so I replaced the rears for 3.5" coils. And 2.5" in the front that according to RK fronts are actually 3.0" and rears are 2.5" to get the leveled stance it gives me room for loading up cargo and not end up with higher front end. As far as the Kings well you get what you pay for the adjustors are freaking awesome and the way it rides will change your Jeep in a great way.
Where did you mount your Reservoirs up front? Just wondering I had the Fox 2.0 TeraFlex Adjustable shocks being delivered on Wednesday and I'm trying to figure out the best spot for them.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stangmike1
Attachment 643284 Attachment 643285 Attachment 643288 This is by far one of the best mods I done to my Jeep the only thing I would do different is the coils at first I had 2.5" coils but I felt the back could be a little higher so I replaced the rears for 3.5" coils. And 2.5" in the front that according to RK fronts are actually 3.0" and rears are 2.5" to get the leveled stance it gives me room for loading up cargo and not end up with higher front end. As far as the Kings well you get what you pay for the adjustors are freaking awesome and the way it rides will change your Jeep in a great way.
per the above, where exactly do you have the front reservoirs located? cant tell by the side shots.

Rk offers their expedition package which is the X factor with 1 inch taller rear coils for overland gear, and if it is too much rake unloaded, i will add up to 1 inch coil spacer in front.

this will get me in between 2.5 or 3 all around. what shocks did you purchase the 0-2 or 3-4 lift size? cant find info on shock body length and im concerned with the shock uptravel.

so you must have triple rate RK coils with kings, can you tell me if the ride is more plush than expected, i really want a softer ride and not harsh jolting over uneven roads or slow/high speed bumps...

in essence, i want to take the neighborhood speed bumps going 40-50 MPH depending on my mood? yes my neighborhood is a closed course for professional drivers BTW
Old 04-11-2016, 08:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't run kings but I do have RK RRD's
RK does have a mount that I saw at jeeptoberfest which mounts the resi in too if the spring perch. I just have mine mounted to the shock body but have been thinking about relocating them. Just for cosmetics. They work fine where they are. You can kinda see them in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4059518499.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	451.9 KB
ID:	643397  
Old 04-11-2016, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK
I don't run kings but I do have RK RRD's
RK does have a mount that I saw at jeeptoberfest which mounts the resi in too if the spring perch. I just have mine mounted to the shock body but have been thinking about relocating them. Just for cosmetics. They work fine where they are. You can kinda see them in this pic.
if im not mistaken, the RK RRDs are 2.0s? the kings are 2.5 which increases shock body and reservoir size, so im concerned with space and contact upon flexing the vehicle.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkjouster
if im not mistaken, the RK RRDs are 2.0s? the kings are 2.5 which increases shock body and reservoir size, so im concerned with space and contact upon flexing the vehicle.
You are correct they are a 2.0 but I don't get close to them at all. I have seen some guys run the resi on top of the frame between the inner fender behind the spring perch. Might be a good option as well.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

No real benefit running a 2.5 over a 2.0 shock. Just allows for extra oil to keep cool and really not needed on a JK. They have the same shaft size at 7/8". In the end you are just adding weight, spending more money, and making it harder to fit the larger bodies. You really would be hard pressed to overheat a 2.0 non res shocks on a JK unless you are running long distance in the dessert in August.

Realize that the OME are a bypass shock that allows tuning on both the compression and rebound sides where the King you are looking at only has one adjustment on the compression side. To compare apples to apples you should be looking at the king double bypass shocks. They do not use the knob style compression adjuster on the res. It has tubes with recessed hex screws for adjustment.

The king bypass 2.0 are also about 1" shorter in compressed length vs the 2.5 in the same travel making them easier to fit on log builds.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 04-11-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3694115566.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	643418 They are mounted to the body of the shock no issues in 3 years. The triple rate ride fine you just tune how soft or hard the ride is on the shocks. To compare in ride softness in the softest setting rides a little softer than a BMW X5 compared to my sisters suv. But a little harder than a Lexus RX350 compared to my wife's. If you want to run over speed bumps at 40mph look into the air bump stops in addition to the shocks. The shocks are the 3-4"

Last edited by stangmike1; 04-11-2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
No real benefit running a 2.5 over a 2.0 shock. Just allows for extra oil to keep cool and really not needed on a JK. They have the same shaft size at 7/8". In the end you are just adding weight, spending more money, and making it harder to fit the larger bodies. You really would be hard pressed to overheat a 2.0 non res shocks on a JK unless you are running long distance in the dessert in August.

Realize that the OME are a bypass shock that allows tuning on both the compression and rebound sides where the King you are looking at only has one adjustment on the compression side. To compare apples to apples you should be looking at the king double bypass shocks. They do not use the knob style compression adjuster on the res. It has tubes with recessed hex screws for adjustment.

The king bypass 2.0 are also about 1" shorter in compressed length vs the 2.5 in the same travel making them easier to fit on log builds.
agreed with the 2.5 vs 2.0

and i realize the advantages of multiple fine tune adjustments on the OME, but king is king..

trying to find the right 2.0 bypass adjustable kings but unsure what part number i need to look for, for my use?

Quick Reply: RK 2.5 X factor and King 2.5 ADJ Reservoir combination